Thursday, August 30, 2012

the furniture from 1967



I bought this flannel board set at an estate sale last summer or the year before. Probably the year before, since pain and limping aren't part of the memory. Either that, or they were overshadowed by the snotty attitude of the woman I bought it from. Since then, I've wondered what possessed me to buy it in the first place. Then I opened the box this week and suddenly remembered.

It was the furniture! (Click the image if you want to see more details.)



This is the furniture I remember from my childhood. It's what my thrift store Barbies had printed on the walls of their vinyl house. We didn't have quite this style in our own house, but I remember seeing it.

And those are the appliances I remember growing up with. Bill and I had a washer and dryer that probably did date to 1967 in our house right after our first baby was born fifteen years ago. I miss that set.

It looks like they went out of their way to make sure that they depicted every style of phonograph or radio a family could have.

And I love the sewing machine -- I think that might've been one of the reasons I bought the set!



I've shown less than half of the pieces here. There are two complete families and more pieces of furniture.

The lesson plan on the inside of the box is just bizarre. There's the "Father works to earn money to provide food and shelter, while mother cooks and keeps the home neat and clean" and "Everyone would use the TV, while mother would probably be the only one using the washer-dryer." And there are certain things that are only used by the baby.

I'm all for Mother staying home and Father going to work... but why we needed a curriculum to tell us that Baby is the only one who uses that death-trap of a crib is a little beyond me. (And why don't they capitalize mother and father? Is is coincidence that Father is usually at the beginning of the sentence, so that one does get capitalized?)

I should probably just admire the furniture and not read the teaching plan.

This post is linked to Time Travel Thursday & Vintage Thingie Thursday.

4 comments:

Allie said...

Hey I remember that furniture too, lol! My grandma's furniture was older, mostly from the 30's and 40's....but I love it all. Yeah, skip the lesson plans, lol!

LV said...

It is strange what we find that brings back great memories.

Denise :) said...

Haha! How funny!! And, in case you're really interested, mother and father are only capitalized when they are (1) at the beginning of the sentence and (2) when specifically being used in place of a person's given name. For example: "My mom is terrific!" vs. "I think, Mom, that you are terrific!" It's one of those weird rules. Like having to tell people that the baby is the ONLY one who can use the crib. ;)

Coloradolady said...

What a neat find. I would have purchased it too! Great representation from that time. Thanks for sharing. Happy VTT

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails