curved seams... inset seams... a zipper... buttonholes... cables... intarsia... a chart... needleturn applique...
That sort of thing is always running through my mind when I'm looking at patterns. I've crossed charts, and cables, and curved seams off of the list. And inset seams --That was last week's new adventure.
The more things I can cross off that list, the more opportunities open up.
This week I'm trying bias stems. It's not going well. Possibly because my green fabric is a polyester blend, but that's what I have and this is a scrap quilt.
I got them cut on the bias, and got the edges ironed under. They'll go go straight, but they won't curve prettily like the ones in the pattern. (And I am *SO* not handstitching the applique on a scrappy string quilt that's probably going to be used by the boys!)
After reading this tutorial at Applique Today, I'm going to try doing it her way. I've got the bias bars already (and might even know where they are) and fusing them in place might help...
The bias seams may not be working for me, but learning (or relearning) new techniques definitely does, so I'm linking this post to Words for me Wednesday at We are THAT family. And to Try it out Tuesday at Jo's Country Junction.