Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Buzz {a baby quilt tutorial}

Meet Buzz! I've been carrying the idea for this quilt around in my mind for several weeks, waiting for a chance to do some cutting and piecing. If I'd known how quickly the stars would go together, I'd have done it sooner!


(Note: I used the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers to construct my flying geese units. You can find more detailed instructions for using the rulers in my Strawberry Stars tutorial. That quilt uses 2" strips, but the general idea is the same. If you've got your own favorite method for making flying geese, use it to make units that will finish at 2x4")

For a 32" square quilt, you'll cut the following from 2 1/2" strips of background fabric and blue prints. I started with ten blue width-of-fabric strips and have plenty left over for the next blue baby quilt.

use the Companion Angle ruler to cut 36 white centers for the flying geese units
use the Easy Angle ruler to cut 72 print half square triangles for the  flying geese units
cut 36 2 1/2" print squares for the star centers
cut 36 2 1/2" white squares for the star corners



Assemble thirty-six flying geese units as shown and nine 4 patch units. Join them into nine sawtooth star blocks.


Using 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips of white, assemble the stars into three rows of three stars each.


Add 2 1/2" sashing strips between the three rows.



Add  2 1/2" border strips around the four sides of the quilt.




Quilt and bind. As always, if you make this quilt I'd love for you to send me a picture or link up to my weekly Let's Make Baby Quilts! linky party. There's a list of my free baby quilt tutorials over in the sidebar and you  can find out when new ones are added by either following my blog or liking the Let's Make Baby Quilts Facebook page.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Another winner that I want to try. Your ideas and my scraps make such a good team!

Jo said...

It's SO cute. I had no idea you were making stars with your flying geese!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Cute quilt and I love those rulers too! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

cityquilter grace said...

a perfect baby boy quilt michelle!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for a boys quilt. Thanks for sharing.

JHNickodemus said...

Fabulous!

Judy said...

LOVE the quilt!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails