Saturday, March 16, 2013

Peter {a baby quilt tutorial}

Got a lot of scraps in the same color family? This one will help you use them up. (Don't blame me if it wants you to shop for more fabric so you can try it in a different color scheme!)

 
 
 
For a 36" square quilt, you'll need:

36 - print half square triangles (4 per block) (cut them from 2 1/2" strips with an Easy Angle ruler, or use your own favorite method)
36 - white half square triangles (4 per block)
288 - 2 1/2" print squares (32 per block)
 

Sew a white half square triangle to each print half square triangle. Press. Assemble half square triangles into nine pinwheels, one for each block.
 
Assemble 2 1/2" print squares into four square units. Press.
 
For each block, assemble one pinwheel unit and eight four patch units as shown -- the block is just a big nine-patch with a pinwheel in the center.
 

 
Make nine blocks and assemble into three rows of three. Quilt and bind. As always, if you make this quilt I'd love for you to send me a picture or link up to my weekly Let's Make Baby Quilts! linky party. There's a list of my free baby quilt tutorials over in the sidebar and you  can find out when new ones are added by either following my blog or liking the Let's Make Baby Quilts Facebook page.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Very Nice, you are invited to share this with Show Your Stuff:

http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2013/03/show-your-stuff-69-lemon-lime-jello.html

Amy said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Things like this make me want to attempt sewing again.

Danice G said...

So pretty. The quilt is adorable. Green is my favorite color. Thank you for the tutorial also.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the simplicity of this one and the varieties of greens used. I'm a sucker for pinwheels. A perfect post to rejuvenate at Tuesday Archives this week!!

Meg Ross said...

I loved this quilt, but had a difficult time with the pinwheels. I tried several times and couldn't get them to look like they should and fit like they should when they were sewn together (maybe my angle was wrong?). Since time was passing, and the baby was due soon, I made the quilt with white stars, and it turned out well. I would have never thought of all green, but I was very pleased with the results. Thanks for posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails