Thursday, February 14, 2013

Priscilla {a baby quilt tutorial}

A handful of half square triangle units give this easy baby quilt a lot of pop!




For a 36" square quilt, you'll need:


36 - print half square triangles (4 per block) (cut them from 2 1/2" strips with an Easy Angle ruler, or use your own favorite method)
36 - white half square triangles (4 per block)
180 - 2 1/2" print squares (20 per block)
18 - 2 1/2 x 4 1/2" white strips (2 per block)
18 - 2 1/2 x 8 1/2" white strips (2 per block)



Sew a white half square triangle to each print half square triangle. Press.

Sew the print squares into eighteen strips of four squares each and  eighteen strips of six squares each.

Assemble half square triangles into nine pinwheels, one for each block.


Sew 2 1/2 x 4 1/2" strips to opposite edges of each pinwheel. Press, then sew 2 1/2 x 8 1/2" strips to the other edges. Press.


Sew four square long strips to opposite edges of the block. Press. Sew six square long strips to the other two edges. Press.


Make nine blocks and assemble into three rows of three. Quilt and bind. As always, if you make this quilt I'd love for you to send me a picture or link up to my weekly Let's Make Baby Quilts! linky party. There's a list of my free baby quilt tutorials over in the sidebar and you  can find out when new ones are added by either following my blog or liking the Let's Make Baby Quilts Facebook page.




13 comments:

ThreadCatcher said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial for your Priscilla baby quilt. I have it saved for 'someday'. I do think there is a small mistake in the triangle units needed for each block. You list six per block but only use four. The total overall needed is correct. Thanks again for taking the time to share this pattern.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Thanks Michelle for making this tutorial! I look forward to trying it when I get caught up quilting my tops.

Annabellouise said...

This looks like fun and would not take forever to make. Thanks for the tutorial.

Deanna said...

Finished a top tonight. Great pattern! Thanks for designing and sharing it.

http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/that-came-together-quickly/

Anonymous said...

The HST should finish at 2.5"?

Thanks, that's a cute design and good for scraps, too.

dezertsuz at gmail

Melanie E. said...

Thanks for this pattern! I just made it in one week's time (that's about all I did, though :)). It is my first quilt ever. I made it out of 100% linen, even the "batting." Linen is a healing fabric, so I've been wanting to make a blanket out of it for a while. You can read more about why linen is so great here: http://www.pleasantpads.com/linen-health-benefits.html

Here are some pics of how my quilt turned out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96669543@N08/8869657289/in/photostream/
Thanks again for this post! Now I can check "learn how to make a quilt" off my life to-do list!

Unknown said...

this quilt is beautiful! I really want to try it soon. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I really want to make this in the pink! Thank you so much for sharing, it is one of the prettiest baby quilts I have seen!

Amy said...

do i have to add a 1/4 inch to the measurements you've posted for this quilt?

Michelle said...

Amy, all of the sizes given include the seam allowance. You don't need to add anything.

Unknown said...

Where do I buy the material for the quilts (Priscilla)?

Charlene said...

Peter & PRiscilla must be twins.

Unknown said...

I would love to make this but I am not sure what to bye in fabric for this Quilt can anyone help me out on how much fabric I would need for this quilt. I am new to quilting so not sure how to figure out how much fabric I would need for the quilt.

Thank you
Connie Barber

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails