Thursday, April 18, 2013

Laura {a baby quilt tutorial}

Meet Laura! She's my first yellow and white baby quilt. When I started choosing fabrics, I was worried that there might not be enough contrast between the prints and the white background. Some of these yellows are pretty pale and I thought they might not stand out enough. That wasn't a problem. Now that she's pieced and quilted, I'm already pulling out more yellow fabric to make another quilt.



Ready to make another quick, two color baby quilt? Pull out your favorite color and find a dozen 2 1/2" width of fabric strips. That and some background fabric is all you'll need!

This week's baby quilt uses the same blocks as Colleena, but changing the color placement in the nine-patch blocks gives it a different look. Adding a pieced border makes it just a bit larger.

For a 34" square quilt, you'll need:

13 - 6 1/2" white squares
48 - 2 1/2" white squares
176 - 2 1/2" print squares (112 for blocks, 64 for pieced border)

To make the snowball blocks, place a 2 1/2" print square on each corner of a 6 1/2" background square. Sew diagonally as shown, then press open. To reduce bulk, you can trim off the extra fabric a quarter inch outside the seam line.  Make 13 blocks.




Assemble 2 1/2" white and print squares into nine-patch blocks as shown. Make 12 blocks.



Lay out alternating blocks in five rows of five as shown, with snowball blocks in the outside corners. For the pieced border, piece the remaining 2 1/2" squares into four long strips (two 15 square long strips and two seventeen square long strips.) Add the shorter strips to opposite edges, press open, then add the longer strips to the remaining two edges and press open.

Quilt and bind. As always, if you make this quilt I'd love for you to send me a picture or link up to my weekly Let's Make Baby Quilts! linky party. There's a list of my free baby quilt tutorials over in the sidebar and you  can find out when new ones are added by either following my blog or liking the Let's Make Baby Quilts Facebook page.


21 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Michelle. Enjoyed visiting your blog. Adorable baby quilt. I like your use of yellow. You made me think that I rarely use yellow, and I really don't know why--it's so cheerful! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt, love the colors and the design.

Needled Mom said...

That is so pretty. I love the yellow and white color combination.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I am absolutely going to make a yellow & white quilt! I really love this one.

Karen said...

Oh - what a great combo of blocks to make a baby quilt...so cute!

Cherilyn said...

Love the colors! Thank you for the tutorial!

Kathy S. said...

Love the layout and how the 9-patch makes it look different. Thanks for the tute. I pinned it for alter!

Sara said...

Super cute in yellow!

Unknown said...

This quilt is so pretty! I don't have much yellow in my stash, and this quilt makes me wish that I did!

Cindy said...

Love the yellow and white together! The combination of the two blocks are great. I'll have to mark this page for a future quilt!

Lourdes said...

Michelle,
Your baby quilt is beautiful!! I'm always amazed at the patterns when different blocks are put together.

Sue Daurio said...

That is adorable!! Thanks for posting the pattern.

joanold said...

That makes a really cute quilt. Well done.

joanold said...

That makes a really cute quilt. Well done.

Chris said...

Can't believe how different each quilt looks in the various colors. And the snowball block are great blocks for adding embroidery designs like redwork or some decorative quilting design. I like the redwork idea the best!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Such a sweet little quilt!

Sewing Mom said...

How sweet....that yellow is actually very lovely. Visiting from Let's Get Acquainted. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Sooooo sweet! I love the yellow! I should use it more, too!
Esther

Renee said...

I love that such simple blocks make such a stunning layout! Very nice quilt!

Dee said...

Very soft and lovely! Thanks for the tute too!

Unknown said...

I made this quilt and it turned out great. It was my first quilt ever. I would love to email a picture of it but cannot find an email address. Thank you for the wonderful pattern with easy to understand instruction.
Thanks,
Kelly

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails