Thursday, May 02, 2013

Sadie {a baby quilt tutorial}

Meet Sadie! I've been planning this baby quilt in my head for months, watching my scraps for just the right pinks.  Now that she's together, I'm seriously in love with this little quilt. I think she just might live here with me.
 

I've used the scrappy half square triangles before, first in Extra Scrappy Pinwheels, then in  blue sheet quilt #1 (see why I started giving the baby quilts people names?), and later in Dashes in the Woods. 

Want to make your own? You'll need about a yard of pink scraps and about two yards of background fabric.

 
Cutting --

Cut pink scraps into 2" strips. From those, use your Easy Angle ruler to cut 72 triangles. Cut 200  2" squares (108 for blocks, 92 for pieced border)   (Not using the Easy Angle for your triangles? Cut 2 3/8" squares and cut those in half diagonally.)

From background fabric, cut nine 3 1/2" squares for block centers.  Cut thirty-six 2 x 3 1/2" rectangles.  Cut  background fabric into 3 1/2" strips and use the Easy Angle ruler to cut 36 triangles. (Not using the Easy Angle?  Cut 3 7/8" squares and cut those in half diagonally.) You will also need 2" strips for the sashing and borders. I used eleven WOF strips.

Piecing --

To make the scrappy half square triangle units, sew two print triangles to one print square as shown and press. Sew to a large background triangle and press. 

To make the bars of the churn dash block, sew two print squares together and press. Sew to a 2" x 3 1/2" rectangle to form a square and press.


Lay out four half square triangle units, four bar units, and a 3 1/2" center square and assemble the churn dash block as shown. Make nine blocks.
 

To make pieced border, sew 2" squares into two strips of 22 blocks each and two strips of 24 blocks each.

 Using 2" cut strips as sashing, assemble the nine blocks into three rows or three. Add a border of 2" cut background strips, then sew the shorter pieced border strips to opposite edges of the quilt and the longer pieced border strips to the remaining opposite edges. Add another border of 2" cut background strips.



Quilt and bind. As always, if you make this quilt I'd love for you to send me a picture or link up to my weekly Let's Make Baby Quilts! linky party. There's a list of my free baby quilt tutorials over in the sidebar and you  can find out when new ones are added by either following my blog or liking the Let's Make Baby Quilts Facebook page.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks very sweet

Sarah Craig said...

What a darling little quilt! Love the colors and design! Whoop whoop!!

Lynette said...

Whoop! Whoop! It's so sweet. Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us. :)

LV said...

Quilts are my weakness. I have many vintage and new. However, no need for a baby one. You did a nice job on yours tho.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails