Saturday, May 04, 2013

another reason to love old books



I've told you before about how the smell of old books makes me giddy.  My oldest son and I had a long discussion last week about what old books are supposed to smell like, as opposed to what mildewy books smell like. Sadly, the mildewed example was an original text Nancy Drew that I would have really wanted if it was in halfway decent condition.

Except for my growing stash of vintage children's mysteries, I'm not buying a lot of books for myself lately. My Kindle has won, assuming that the price of the Kindle edition is actually less than the price of the paperback. It's a happy combination of having the book I want right now and not having to keep track of it once I do have it.

I still have real ink and paper books, and I adore the special ones. Even though I've found a much nicer copy of the same edition, I'm still keeping that Bobbsey Twins book that came from the small girls room.

And I'll be keeping this Nancy Drew that  I picked up at the thrift store on the same day as I had to pass up the mildewed one. I've got a nicer copy with a dust jacket, but look at what's written inside the front cover --



Beverly Jean Iverson
Devils Lake, North Dakota U. S. A.

Christmas "1945"   a  Christmas "no one" will ever forget, for it is the year of "Victory and Peace" of the second world war Thank You

I assume that it was Beverly's book, but I wonder who wrote the inscription.  Was it Beverly, or one of the adults in her life?   (And yes, I did Google her name -- I found one woman who would have been about the right age, but Iverson was her married name and she lived at the wrong end of the country, and one who was born a few years too late.)

There's something about this book that just makes me want to hug it tight and protect it.  Do you save books with strangers' inscriptions in them?

This post is linked to Time Travel Thursday, Ivy & Elephants & Vintage Thingie Thursday.

7 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love books, the smell the feel and I enjoy the cover of the book. I am currently reading a vintage copiy of "Hans Brinker The Silver Skates" by Mary Mapes Dodge. The illustration are wonderful. I am fortunate that our library has a beautiful section of vintage books. I go to the library 2-3 times a week. It gets me out of the house.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Okay you brought back some sweet memories with the Bobbsey Twins. I was 6 (only 60 years ago), we were stationed in St. John's Newfoundland, living in a 3 story row house. I was sitting in bed between my brothers and they were reading me the Bobbsey Twins..... :D

Crispy said...

What a treasure!! The Boxcar children was one of my favs as a child. You don't see those too often anymore, wish I saved mine.

Crispy

Terri said...

I love the books with history. Books are soooo much more than just the story inside. Kindle (and the rest of its ilk) will never have the same charisma as a book. I especially love a book with a handwritten inscription. Used, maybe. I say "previously loved".
Hugs

Lori said...

there is nothing like a childhood book. Its like preserving all your childhood memories.

LV said...

I enjoy books. I do not buy them much anymore. I do have some children's that are vintage. To read, I go to the library.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

oh I do love books and I still buy them. Mostly older ones at thrift shops but I found a wonderful inscribed cook book at an estate sale ... "We may live without friends We may live without books But civilized man cannot live without cooks" Mama from Robert May 1901" I'm thinking it was his Mother's Day gift. Thanks for sharing your book with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails