Monday, May 13, 2013

A Quilt for Mrs. Bates's Parlor

It's my turn to show of my It's for the birds! project, and the waiting has been driving me just a little bit crazy...
 
 
 
As soon as I saw that we were making quilts with birds on them, I knew I wanted to use a black silhouette of a raven. Or a crow. Who can tell the species when it's an outline on a quilt? I've got a whole bunch of irons in the fire right now, so when I was up in the sewing room and came across a bunch of scrappy black and neutral hourglass units from an abandoned project I decided they'd make the perfect jump start for this project.

They were going to be sashing, at least until I started playing with them and decided that they reminded me of an ornate frame. If I was making this quilt again (and I think I do want another one with bats to hang in October) I'd add prairie points or a scalloped black outer border.



Why the name?

Madame Samm started my mind in that direction when she showed off her Tippy Hedrin Barbie. Then I was watching Hitchcock, a movie about the making of Psycho, while I pieced the quilt -- and wouldn't Mrs. Bates have totally had this quilt in her parlor, if she'd had quilts? I think she'd have had this little settee, too. It was passed down from my Great Aunt Molly to my Grandma Marr, and then to me. How I manage to get away with this piece of furniture in a tiny house full of kids, I don't know.

If  this is your first visit to my blog, welcome!  I'm Michelle and I'm trying to make fifty scrappy baby quilts this year, but sometimes I get in the mood to make a quilt for me. And this one is definitely MINE.


Be sure to visit today's other bloggers -- it's amazing the variety of projects everyone is coming up with! You can find the full schedule here.
 


This post is linked to to Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, and Freedom Fridays,

58 comments:

Judy B said...

Love your little Raven quilt! Thank you for sharing.

Marianne said...

I love Ravens. Yours is wonderful.

DeborahGun said...

so pretty! I love it.

Unknown said...

The Raven is very cute..nice job

Lavonna ZWB said...

Well done. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Nati said...

Lovely quilt, thanks for sharing!

charlotte said...

Very nice job. Mrs. Bates would love it.

Debby said...

Michelle. I love the simplicity of the outline of the crow/black bird - whatever he is. And your setting with the stripped background and checkerboard borders - that's a WOW quilt in my book. Very original and I would suggest you keep your doors locked in case another Mrs. Bates lurks somewhere. She might come try to take it (and I wouldn't blame her).

Thearica said...

The raven is really fantastic!

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your Raven quilt is wonderful, and spooky enough for Mrs. Bates and Norman to both like!

Tammy said...

Great quilt. Mrs. Bates needed quilts to warm her cold heart & soul....

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Great looking quilt!

Patty C. said...

Love the quilt - too bad I will never see it in that parlor !!! lol

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I just love this one!! Nothing like the crow or raven...

krislovesfabric said...

This is a beauty, love your fabric choices...yep...that would have been a good parlor quilt!

And this would be . . . . said...

wonderful job.

Sparky said...

Totally get this and yes Mrs Bates would most certainly would have had something like this and on your wall by your antique piece..wellllll perfect

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Very fun Raven quilt....good job!

Sowing Stitches said...

This is a great raven wall hanging!!! :D

Jo said...

It turned out so cute Michelle!!

Linda C said...

I think this one should stay with you as the story behind "The Birds" would probably scare the beejeebers out of them!

Good way to repurpose the previous sewing endeavors as they made a great frame for your raven. Very striking.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your crow!!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

It's darling! Great job!

Barbara O. said...

That's a lovely wall quilt, congrats on this work!

Carol Swift said...

I think Norman Bates would have loved this hanging on the wall as much as his mother. The border around the bird adds a lot to your creepy, but beautiful, black bird quilt. :O)

apple blossom said...

love your quilt nice job

Vickie said...

GreaT JOB !

Britt-Inger said...

Your raven is amazing. I love it Thanks for sharing

Leanne Parsons said...

Great job on the quilt. The black and white 'frame' is fantastic.

Patty said...

Very nice! thanks for sharing.

Patty said...

I love your quilt. I have GOT to find me a raven(crow) for my granddaughter. She loves them.

Kathy H said...

Pretty birdie project and Nice border. All those little squares. WOnderful. I always like the looks of them but never want to go to the trouble of cutting and sewing them all.

Janet said...

That is definitely a crow. Ravens don't have fat, round bodies like that :) Love your quilt!

Needled Mom said...

Very cute. I really like the argyle look with the raven,

Unknown said...

Lovely project! And I love the title!

Tricia said...

I love the hourglass blocks that surround your blackbird. It is the prefect combo that would be well @ home @ the Bates Hotel an your too. Thank You for sharing this wonderful project with us.

Sincerely,
Tricia

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Wonderful little quilt. Great choice of fabrics. Prairie points would look awesome.
Thanks for sharing.

Lou said...

Great job!!!!
Love the scrappy background he is on!

Mary said...

Great little quilt. Love your idea. Thank you so much for being part of this hop.

sandra said...

Love your raven I find him a scary bird but you did a great job.

Calicojoan said...

Love your raven. What a great border!

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

The raven quilt is lovely.

Mara said...

I like it and love the way it is framed, it doesn't need another thing added, perfect!

Pauline said...

I love your "this one is for me"quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I love the colors you are using!

lefuntz said...

As a Hitchcock fan I got the Mrs. Bates Parlor right away. Love your quilt and that you recycled an old UFO. Another for Halloween? Quoth the raven, "Quilt some more"

Jeanie said...

Yes..I do believe Mrs Bates would approve. Great little wall hanging!

Amy said...

That is great! Love the fabric choices!

Linda said...

Your little raven quilt is so cute! I loved the story with it, too! Great job!

maggie said...

What a cute little raven quilt. Well done.
cheers
maggie

Carla said...

Sometimes we have to take a time out and make something for ourselves. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

Wonderful project, love crows!

Janarama said...

Great quilt ...good job.

Lisa said...

Spooky! I would love this for halloween!

LJ said...

Wonderful quilt with a perfect name. Thanks for giving us the story.

carla said...

HI!!!! Love it!!! I think your are right about the Bates house!!! A bat would be great for halloween!!!!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You are right! The blocks do look like an ornate frame. Well done!

Teatime Creations said...

I love your crow surrounded by the hourglass squares. Very striking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails