Friday, May 03, 2013

Let's Make Baby Quilts! {week 18}

This week, I've been playing with block sizes. I wanted to make a pink version of this baby quilt, which I made a couple of years ago.


This time around, I wanted to add a pieced border. The scrappy churn dash blocks in the blue quilt measure twelve inches. Adding the borders bring my new quilt up to 48", bigger than I want my baby quilts to be.

The answer? Make my churn dash blocks with 2" cut squares instead of the 2 1/2" squares I use in most of my baby quilts.  With the blocks reduced to 9" square, I could add my border and still have the final quilt measure just under 40" square.

Here's Sadie. Even with that pieced border, she went together quickly. (I made up for that by spending three hours on the free motion quilting. That may be the longest I've ever spent quilting a baby quilt. But I love the results!)



Let's Make Baby Quilts Linky Party Rules:

Link directly to your post or specific Flickr photo. Your post can be about a baby quilt that's finished, or in progress, or you can be writing about what you have planned, but it's got to be about baby quilts. While we're still gathering steam, you're welcome to link to baby quilt posts that aren't brand new, but please don't submit the same post or picture more than once. I'd love it if you linked back to my site, either with a text link or the Let's Make Baby Quilts! button.




3 comments:

Teri said...

Love this quilt. I hope I can remember the idea when I need another baby quilt.

The Slow Quilter said...

Love what you did to the quilt.

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

I love your scrappy pink churn dashes! Churn dash is on my "list" but it keeps getting pushed aside. Yours is so cute.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails