Monday, May 20, 2013

UFO Update -- Sandstone Stack the Deck

This is one of my really old UFOs, started right after I really began quilting. I'd found the book Stack the Deck! by Karla Alexander at the library and thought the technique looked do-able.

And for some reason, decided to make a sandstone colored quilt with appliqued petroglyphs. It's not the last time I've deliberately matched my quilt colors to rocks, but it's the attempt that makes the least sense.

The colors look a little better in real life. If I'd used a different technique, I think I'd take the blocks apart and remove the dark brown -- but that's not going to work here. I'm stuck with what I've got, wonky blocks that need trimming and miles of loose thread removed.
 
 
 
When I started this project, I thought I'd have to get my petroglyphs from a book.  Then last year we camped at Dinosaur National Monument and saw these guys. See the two big lizards? Directly above the one on the right is a little man.  The boys and I think it looks like the lizards are after him.
 
 
Now that I've found the perfect subject for my applique, I'm a little more motivated to finish the quilt top. To see more design walls, head over to Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Dar said...

This will be a challenge, but now I am anxious to see what you do with it. Happy Monday.

Chris said...

Great concept for your quilt. It will look great when its all done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails