Monday, May 14, 2012

Dashes in the Woods



Little Red Riding Hood has always been one of my favorite fairy tales, even if I was scared half to death by a stuffed doll my great grandmother made me when I was little. I think that doll with its scary teeth and eyes is actually why that story conjures up such vivid images for me.

As soon as I saw A Walk in the Woods with the little girl in the red cape and that cute fox, I wanted to make a quilt with it. I've been dying to show this one off! The pattern is available for free at the Moda Bake Shop.



That enormous tree, the one that's almost as wide as the quilt, is directly behind our house. I can see it from a mile down the highway. Our little farmhouse is almost a century old, and the tree was here long before it was built.

If this is your first visit to my blog, welcome! I'm Michelle and I live in a little old farmhouse in Oregon with my husband and our four children. My teenage daughter sparked the idea for this quilt when she saw a picture with pieces of two baby quilts and thought they were both part of the same project.

I love making scrap quilts and go on frequent baby quilt binges. (Later this year, I'll be inviting you to go on a binge with me, so start collecting bright scraps to cut into 2 1/2" squares!)

Since we had so much fun installing my husband's three new hives of bees a few weeks ago, I've been doing my best to avoid the bugs. Sewing my own finger might've been less dramatic. But now I've got my own suit and, although it's claustrophobic inside the thing, I haven't been stung since.

Honestly, I prefer to leave the bees and chickens and geese for hubby and the kids to play with. I'm happier in the house with my quilting and knitting and cross stitching.

This post is linked to the Wildly Original Roundup over at We Gotta Create.

Amy's Creative Side

17 comments:

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

I love the recipe for the bake shop! The gray really accentuates the reds and pinks of the story the fabric tells. Great job!

Johanna said...

Love the quilt! I had to have that fabric too!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I love the quilt!

Mary said...

Congratulations! It is a gorgeous quilt!

I always loved LRRH. I have a doll that is all three main characters - Red, Grandma and the BB Wolf.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Beautiful quilt!! I love the fabric and the pattern is brilliant! Congratulations baker! :)
I remember having a very similar style of doll - not half as creepy as the wolf one though!!! yikes!

Allie said...

Well OF COURSE I had to go read your post about that doll, it didn't look too creepy in the first pic on this page - but oh yes, I can well understand now, lol!!!! Oh Michelle I LOVE your quilt, the churn dash blocks are just brilliant, this is wonderful - fabulous quilt, thank you!!!

Denise :) said...

Bahaha! LOVED the story about the doll...and had to go take a peek to see what the fuss was about. Scary indeed!! Your quilt is beautiful! A very well done job, my friend!!! :)

Carla said...

Great story! That's the way I felt with a clown my aunt gave me once...
I'm crushing on your quilt! Love the fabrics!

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful quilt! Aneela's fabrics always look so lovely with grey...

Love the churn dashes!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

The quilt is lovely!! I had to smile about the childhood story--I can relate. Things like that can loom large in a child's mind. Thanks SO much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina

Mom said...

I love traditional quilts!

Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt with fun, whimsical fabric.

straythreads said...

beautiful quilt
Ann

Janet said...

Pretty quilt made with that lovely fabric. And that has to be the scary doll!

Eileen said...

nice quilt! love the fabric and design. thanks for sharing and have a great day

The Thompsons said...

It's beautiful- I love the scrappy feel of the quilt.

Simply Sandy said...

That doll is kind of scary. Nice, fresh, clean looking quilt. Congratulations on your recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails