Friday, September 28, 2007

What big teeth you have, Grandma!




When I was little, I couldn't sleep at night unless this doll was put away, with Grandma's bonnet covering the wolf's face, and Red Riding Hood's dress covering them both.



My Great-Grandma Walters made it. Red's and Grandma's faces are painted on, and the wolf's features are felt. I remember being nervous about those teeth and that red mouth, but didn't really think much about those dead, sharklike eyes until I was taking his picture yesterday.

No wonder the thing creeped me out as a kid!



And while I was looking for something else in the sewing room a while back, I stumbled upon a handwritten copy of the pattern, the same one that Grandma used.




Visit Kelli's House to find more great Show and Tell Friday posts.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet treasure!

Come by and see my Show & Tell item for this week - http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/hmschlmomto2/399229/

Pam

Susan said...

How funny and scary all in one.
Susan

nannykim said...

ooooooooooooo-no wonder why you were frightened--you poor thing!! It is cool that you still have it!! What does his body look like??????

Barbara H. said...

I remember seeing those! Never thought about how scary they could be to a child, though. The pattern is a treasure, too.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Unknown said...

I can see why you would have been scared! I think the dolls are great treasures!

Kelli

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

How neat! My MIL has one of those too. I figured she has bought it, but possibly she made it.

Thanks for sharing your with us.
~Amy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails