Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sue and her lobster got a bath

I ran my crayon tinted Sunbonnet Sue block through the washer, just to see how the crayon tinting would hold up.

Here she is before --


And after --




She lost a lot of color and I may follow Bea's suggestion to apply another coat of Crayola to brighten her up again. Or I might not. I can't decide which look I like better. What I absolutely love is what the trip through the washer did to the texture of the piece.

Now I want to make a tinted embroidery baby quilt and fade it like this on purpose. For me, because there's no baby in my immediate future... but who says I can't make myself a baby quilt just because it'll be cute? I'm thinking of this pattern for a Peter Pan quilt. Maybe. Or maybe just some more blocks from the International Sue book.

What I don't know is if I'll have to use the same batting to repeat this texture. The hunk I used for Lobster Sue was left over from my scrappy pinwheels. I didn't like that batting at all, but I've got another crib size package left and I'll need to use it up on something...

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 2 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 42 3/4 yards
Added this Week: 3 yards
Added Year to Date: 148 yards
Net Added for 2012: 105.25 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 400 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 730 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 3900 yards
Net Added for 2012: 3170 yards

To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I prefer the after. I love the lobster motif.

DeeDee said...

I like the after - makes it looked well used and loved. The perfect way for me, a non appliquer, to make a sunbonnet sue quilt!

beaquilter said...

it still looks gireat! I like it like this:-)

Denise :) said...

I like the way the after pic looks more blended ... but I love the vibrancy of the before! How's that for a conundrum?! Either way, it's just darling! :)

KaHolly said...

I like it faded better!! What a cute, cute block!!

Allie said...

I LOVE the after - by all means make yourself a baby quilt, I've made a few for myself and I hang them on the wall! But then there's always a baby comes along and needs one, so down they come and off they go....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails