Wednesday, November 07, 2012

{yarn along} relearning how to knit from a chart

I told you I'd have a new project this week, so here's Springtime Bandit.... 




Based on the trouble I had getting started, It's been too long since I curled up to knit a shawl. That whole "Work the chart from right to left to the center stitch, working the appropriate number of patt repeats necessary. For the second half, read charts from right to left again, omitting the 2 edge stitches, and working them at the end in lieu of the center stitch" thing had me ready to give up before I even started.

I've done this before. Lots of times. And after a bit of struggling and absolutely no swearing, I'm doing it again. The repeat is even starting to make sense.

Because I got caught up in Silver Wings for Vicki, I still haven't finished Last Wool and Testament. But the Vicki Barr, Flight Stewardess series is by the same author as the Cherry Ames books and reading about training to be a flight attendant in 1947 is even more fun than reading about being a nurse in 1950.

If you haven't already, check out the itty bitty dress my great grandmother crocheted for one of those 1" plastic dolls they use as decorations at baby showers. And check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times.



8 comments:

Julia said...

Your Shawl looks very pretty!

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I think I would be totally lost, but your shawl is really coming along.There really is something to perserverence!

EMMA said...

Sounds all very complicated but is worth it, your shawl is looking wonderful.

Lori ann said...

that looks so pretty and yes those directions are complicated!

Unknown said...

I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I love knitting from charts, but I need to see the chart, not have to mirror it myself!

Suzanne said...

I was completely lost by those knitting instructions, but the shawl is beautiful!

Judy S. said...

Looks like a pretty pattern and a nice yarn choice. What are the sparkles? Not heard of Vicki Barr, but read Cherry Ames and Sue Barton long ago.....

Maggie said...

Lovely shawl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails