Sunday, November 18, 2012

figuring out what I need


I broke the 1/4" foot for my Janome.  For a while the little black edge was bent just enough to hang up on the feed dogs. I kept using it. Then, a week or so ago, I went to put it back on the machine and that little black edge was entirely gone.

Have you noticed that this sort of thing only happens when you're not driving up to town for another five or six days? And only when you've got time to actually quilt? (Although if they happened when you were busy with other things, you wouldn't notice until you sat down to quilt again...)

Turns out I can still get a decent quarter inch seam without the little black piece, it just takes more focus and concentration. And a new foot from the dealer costs twenty bucks... Did I really need a new foot?

I finally decided that I did. I do a lot of piecing and even if I could do it without a new foot, replacing the broken one is going to save me a lot of hours of messing with the other one.

Weekly Stash Report 


Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 65.25 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards  
Added Year to Date: 446 yards
Net Added for 2012: 380.75 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 995 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 3900 yards
Net Added for 2012: 2905 yards


To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Pippa Parsons said...

Mine's just bent upwards atm but I'm sure it'll end up breaking, I keep hoping it's ok, I don't think I'd like to sew without mine now, i've got too used to it

Barb in Mi said...

Just put some painter's tape as a 'feeding' fabric guide on the front of your sewing table (1/4 inch away from your needle) and you may not need a 1/4 inch foot. Good luck sewing - with or w/o a 1.4 inch foot!

kwiltnkats said...

Definite purchase in my mind! I have a universal 1/4" foot that works great on my Janome. The black piece you talk about is not always desireable for me. The universal 1/4" foot was cheaper too! I got mine at a sewing/vacuum repair shop. Sandi

beaquilter said...

I never used a 1/4" foot I adjust the needle position on my machine and follow the edge of the foot. some people use the blue tape on the bed of the machine, like 10 layers of it, so the fabric goes up against the edge.

Mariel said...

I took a class with Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville) and she told us that a lot of times those little black guides on the 1/4" feet are not real accurate and that they should be removed. I was making her Cathedral Star quilt and my foot was off. I took some pliers and removed the guide and haven't looked back! I guess it is all in what we get used to.

Denise :) said...

I love my Janome 1/4" foot. Although I do test it every couple of weeks or so to make sure it's still stitching accurately! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails