Monday, November 12, 2012

Do my turtles need a border?

I haven't decided which way I want the turtles to face. I need to get my real design wall hanging again so that I can play with the arrangements. The one nail I put in the wall myself (there were three up there above the attic door already - wonder what they were for?)  keeps bending and it's going to take a real hammer and someone stronger and taller than me to pound a heavier nail through that old plaster. 


I also need to decide whether or not I want a border. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the answer would be no, but I'm thinking my turtles want a scrappy green pieced border. If I could figure out what I wanted that border to actually look like, I'd get started on it. Angles won't work with this quilt...scrappy bricks maybe?

I'm very open to suggestions!

To see more design walls, head over to Patchwork Times.

12 comments:

beaquilter said...

I read your blog title and saw the picture before I clicked and read the post, then though of a fun green border, then I read that you thought the same, so....

Angie said...

These are so cute! :) Scrappy brick border is my 2 cents worth. :)

Denise :) said...

Yup...I like the idea of a scrappy green or greenish blue border. Otherwise they'll march off your top and it'll be hard to round 'em up again! I like the direction they're heading in the photo -- it looks like positive motion! :)

Needled Mom said...

How about a zig zag aqua border? They are just adorable.

Margaret said...

They need a border. Either something that looks like river rocks or water would be awesome. They would look like they were swimming. I have a fabric that I got from Fabric Worm I think that looks just like a river with rocks and water flowing that would be perfect, it has browns and greens. If I can find it I could send it to you if I have enough.

Henrietta said...

Scrappy green snowballs set between two (narrow?) borders of your background fabric will look like pebbles or rocks.

straythreads said...

Love the turtles they are fun to make. I would do a scrappy border of piano keys, strips 2-2.5 inches wide and 4-6 inches wide depending on how big your pile of scraps is. Here is a link to my turtle quilt. http://straythreads-straythreads.blogspot.com/2012/09/turtle-pond-quilt.html
Ann

Mommarock said...

To me they look very Indian or Aztec in origin, and need a border that represents that.

The Dose of Reality said...

Turtles are my favorites so I let up a mighty "SQUEE!!!" when I saw the quilt in progress!! LOVE IT!! Can't wait to see the final produce--border or no! --Lisa

Bonnie said...

Love your turtles. They do need some sort of border but I am clueless as to what to suggest!

Corn and Wine said...

I remember my grandmother making a turtle quilt very much like yours. She used a sashing around each turtle block with a solid color fabric and the same solid fabric for the border. It was very simple but made the turtles stand out. I LOVE your turtles! I hadn't thought about my grandmother's turtle quilt in years so thanks for bringing back that happy memory. : )

Allie said...

These turtles are incredible, love them so much, and yes they need a border - scrappy blue and green gets my vote!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails