Friday, November 09, 2012

Friday Finish -- Tumblers



Back in April, I cut a bunch of tumblers with my 3 1/2" tumbler die. I wasn't sure how many I needed to make a big quilt, or how big I wanted "big" to be... I just had a pile of dark scraps I'd used for other projects and  decided it was as good a time as any to start cutting tumblers. I also had a coffin quilt from an antique store on my mind.

I cut a bunch of tumblers, assembled some of them into rows, and got caught up with other things.  At one point, I realized  I didn't want to back this one with a sheet from my backing stash and that I didn't want to go spend real money on backing, so the project got put on hold while I figured that out.

Turns out there was a perfect piece of yardage in my sewing room that I'd forgotten about, from one of the big Craigslist finds last year. I bought it with a ton of other fabrics, sure I'd use it someday for something.

It's "someday," and for this quilt, it's perfect. Maybe not what I would have chosen if I was buying brand new fabric off the bolt, but it's not settling for the least awful option, either.  



Yes, there is a chunk missing from one corner of my quilt.  I took a risk, gambling  that I could make it work, then I made a mistake...and I fixed it by lopping off the corner of my quilt. That's one of the things I love about making utility quilts for my own house and family with the scrap bags. There's no guilt if things don't work out according to the original plan. And I'm giving this quilt to my boys. A missing  corner is the least of its concerns.

When I quilted the dark strippie quilt a few weeks ago, I used a light brown thread that blended with the fabric so well I couldn't see where I had and hadn't meandered. For this one, I used my usual off-white thread. The quilting is more visible, but it blends the tumblers together when you look at it up close. I definitely like it better than the quilting that doesn't show at all, but there must be some kind of middle ground between the two options.

I'm linking this post to Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, Link a Finish Friday.

13 comments:

Ariane said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!! It's a wonderful finish!!

Denise :) said...

Tumblers are such fun -- your finish is fabulous! :)

Cathy Tomm said...

Great tumblers quilt, the colours are so rich.

Angie said...

Gorgeous gorgeous quilt.

Sweet Woodruff said...

I love the color combination of this quilt and the corner, or lack there of, makes ma great story. :) Utility are my favorite quilts. I guess because they work so hard and are so dependable. They always have our family's back, know what I mean? LOL

Emily said...

Love all the dark colors together. I bet this one will be well loved.

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful. I am sure your boys will love curling up and keeping warm underneath it. Another beautiful quilt.

Karen H said...

Very pretty quilt - and I don't notice a chunk missing anywhere. Looks great! I have the small tumbler die for my Accuquilt - I have made 1 doll quilt with it. You have inspired me to get busy and make something larger!

Linda said...

Love it! Tumbler quilt is on my list.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Thanks for sharing! Your quilt looks really great!

Pattilou said...

A great quilt!

Pomegranate Quilts said...

Wow - a lot of work and a lot of love went into this one! Great job!

Cheryl said...

I have a tray full of tumbler pieces cut from lots of leftover kid scraps. Your finished quilt is inspiring me to get moving on one of my own. With the corners being clipped it makes them so easy to join together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails