Monday, September 16, 2013

my own little sewing museum

I didn't intentionally set out to collect old sewing machines, but they're so gorgeous and so easy to bring home, even if that means talking Hubby into loading a treadle into the back of the minivan when it's already full of kids and groceries.



The sewing machine I used all through high school was originally my great grandmother's. The story is that she bought it from a door to door salesman. I used it for years until I got married and got a job and it eventually got packed away and almost forgotten until I started to drool over pictures of pretty vintage machines on the internet and realized that I had one myself.

That machine was probably Great Grandma's newest one. She also had a Singer treadle that sat in our living room for most of my childhood. I love treadles and always wanted one for our house.

So I got this one. It's a pretty piece of furniture and I think it's missing some pieces. You can read its story here.

treadle sewing machine

Except for my Featherweight and another old machine head that I picked up for three bucks at an estate sale to save it from the dumpster, I thought my collection of old machines was complete.  Then I found this treadle at a garage sale. It had belonged to the seller's mother in law and has all of the parts and the instruction manual and I'm told that it works. Did I mention that it was twenty bucks?


My very wonderful husband loaded her up and brought her home without even reminding me how many machines have followed me home over the years.

This one, which is circa 1875 and might belong in a real museum, isn't mine. Grandma found it at a yard sale at the end of the day and adopting sewing machines just because they're pretty seems to run in the family.  Someday I should show you my mom's collection.


Beth over at Love Laugh Quilt suggested that we share our own little sewing museums. I can't wait to see what everyone else is saving because it's old and wonderful. I'm also linking up to Time Travel ThursdayTreasure Hunt ThursdayVintage Thingie Thursday, Share Your Cup, and Ivy and Elephants.

14 comments:

beth said...

Love ALL your old sewing "friends"! What a GREAT collection!

Deborah Hamilton said...

Wow, those are some great machines. The last one is really interesting. I've never seen one like that.

smazoochie said...

Oh dear! Three generations of sewing machine collectors! I predict a crowded house for you someday.
They are so hard to resist & yours are beautiful!

Terri said...

Check out Cheryl at http://cherylsteapots2quilting.blogspot.com/2013/09/august-newfos-ufos-finishes.html
She collects and refurbishes treadles and crank machines... a collector with a mission. Love your collection.
Hugs

Barbara C said...

What beautiful treadle machines. I've got a weak spot for them myself, but it took me a long time to find the right one. I keep mine in my kitchen.

lindaroo said...

The old treadles are glorious, but I'm especially charmed by your first machine. Its industrial green and chrome grille must have been very modern when it was new!

Jessica Hadden said...

My Great Grandmother's treadle has been fully restored, so beautiful! This pieces are certainly irrestible!

Tammy said...

Gorgeous collection of machines. Love them all.

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Nice! I have my grandmas old machine but have no place to display it...someday I will love having it out to see!

Needled Mom said...

What fun old machines. They are such classics.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love the old machines. The bottom one is so different! Love the treadle on that one.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely, lovely old gals you have rescued and given a home. They are beauties.

Quilter Kathy said...

You have a wonderful collection of treasured machines...and a great husband to not complain that you don't "need" another treasure!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love your post title!!! I actually have a few garage sale finds around my house....fun to have the old machines around. Thanks for rejuvinating your post with us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails