Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Have you tried infused water?

Back in May, the family spent a day in Historic Old Town Albuquerque, exploring the shops and historic buildings. This time, we planned on eating in Old Town instead of looking for a fast food place on our way out of town.

 
I can't remember what it was that I ordered, but it was fantastic. The quesadilla we got for the youngest two to share was so huge that even with the help of the rest of us, we couldn't finish it off. And I got to try sopapillas for the first - but definitely not last - time.
 
The other thing that really made a lasting impression on me was the infused water. I'd never tried anything like it before and as soon as I took my first sip, I was planning to search Pinterest for recipes.
 
Now and then I try to cut down on my diet Coke habit, but drinking nothing but plain water feels like I'm punishing myself. I like some of the MIO flavors, but those are almost as pricey as the diet Coke, so except for cutting out the caffeine, they aren't much of an improvement.
 
Cucumber mint water seemed like an answer to my prayers.
 


Some of the sites I found online were less than helpful. If I'm looking at something as a potential substitute for my diet Coke, I'm definitely not going to add sugar to it. I found a free Kindle title -- Vitamin Water -- which had lots of great ideas for flavor combinations, but the introduction about the value is a little over the top.  I also used much less fruit for the batches I tried.

It couldn't be much easier. Wash and cut the fruit, put it in a jar, add water, then pop it into the fridge. Every time someone had a glass, we'd top the jar off with water from the tap. When the fruit started to lose its flavor, we'd rinse the jar and start over again.

This post is linked to We are THAT Family and the Hip Homeschool Hop, Mom's Library, The Shady Porch.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Oh Michelle, I hope you do stop the diet coke - it contains aspartame, which is POISON and will ruin your health. When diet pop gets warm, the aspartame turns into something else and becomes seriously toxic. Even when it's not warm, it's toxic. Everyone I know who drinks diet pop is so much more overweight than everyone else - I don't see how they get away with it!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Yes! I had infused water for the first time a couple weeks ago when a friend gave me a boatload of cucumbers and another friend mentioned she had been to a restaurant that served water with cucumber and lemon. I tried it and it was very refreshing! I do like the MIO and Dasani flavorings though--they are pretty handy when I'm sick of iced tea and plain water is pretty boring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails