Friday, September 20, 2013

Let's Make Baby Quilts! {week 38}


Except for a couple of organizations that have really tugged at my heartstrings, I try to give most of my baby quilts locally. My theory is that whatever money I'd be spending on postage is better spent on batting and thread.

Since the organization that I was making baby quilt for when I started this project disbanded, I've been looking for other alternatives. Some have felt better than others and I have to remind myself that, as long as the quilts are getting to mommies and their babies, it doesn't matter if the receptionist at the pregnancy center doesn't seem like she wants to be bothered. And parking for the NICU is manageable, as much as that place gives me the heebie jeebies.

This week,  I took a stack of quilts to the local birthing center.  I'd met the daughter of the owner down at the river a few weeks ago and she was sure that they'd be happy to pass along quilts to their new mothers.  It took me a while to work up the nerve to call them, but I'm so glad I did. I was able to take in a dozen quilts, which will keep them stocked through the first of the year, and I got a tour of the birthing center.

Finding local places to donate the baby quilts has been a bit of a challenge, but it was definitely worth it.

Where do you donate your baby quilts, if that's what you do with them?

Let's Make Baby Quilts Linky Party Rules:
Link directly to your post or specific Flickr photo. Your post can be about a baby quilt that's finished, or in progress, or you can be writing about what you have planned, but it's got to be about baby quilts. While we're still gathering steam, you're welcome to link to baby quilt posts that aren't brand new, but please don't submit the same post or picture more than once. I'd love it if you linked back to my site, either with a text link or the Let's Make Baby Quilts! button.





3 comments:

KaHolly said...

I make baby quilts for Operation Homefront.

Peggy said...

Hi, I have made quilts for project Linus for over 10 years. Go online and contact them for a group near you. They can give you suggestions re a pick-up for your quilts if need be.The focus of the group is kids in crisis, and unfortunately there are more kids than there are blankets. Hope this is a help to you and thanks for helping those in need.

Terri said...

I take my baby quilts and some bigger kid quilts to Project Linus. They give them out to various, very worth while needs. You can google Project Linus and you'll find one close to you... they are all over. (They also take crocheted and knitted blankets.)
Love this quilt.
Hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails