Wednesday, May 15, 2013

{yarn along} Dark Places

I'm still working on my 3rd pair of socks for the pooling sock yarn challenge and the yarn's still not pooling... I've given up on that part, but I do still like colors. And I love the book I just finished, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
 


Twenty-five years after Libby Day fled into the snow as her mother and two sisters were brutally murdered,  the trust fund that she's been living off of is almost completely drained and Libby is facing the unpleasant truth that the people who were so anxious to help the only survivor of The Satan Sacrifices of Kinnakee, Kansas have lost all interest in her. When a representative of  the Kill Club, a group obsessed with famous murders, offers her cash to speak at their next meeting, Libby reluctantly agrees.  Her need for money is enough to force her to finally dig through the sealed boxes of her family's possessions looking for things she can sell to the members of the club. For more money, she agrees to visit her brother in prison, then to look up her estranged father. The more people from her past she makes contact with, the more Libby begins to question what actually happened in the farmhouse that night.

Dark Places absolutely blew me away. The chapters alternate between Libby in the present day and her brother and mother in 1985, on the day of the murders. The way that the events and evidence all tie together is so intricate -- what makes perfect sense one way when a character sees it is obviously something else entirely when you're reading from another character's point of view.  

Silly disclosure -- the books came from the library.  For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ooh, I'll have to add this one to my summer reading list! I'm almost done with Gone Girl and I have Sharp Objects in the queue - I'm now a big Gillian Flynn fan!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I just read this yesterday... couldn't put it down! Such a well-written book, I'm in awe of Flynn's ability. I loved the shifts in point of view too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I really like the way this yarn is knitting up. I don't mind when a yarn doesn't pool - I actually prefer it.

I've read Gone Girl which was fantastic and just put Dark Places on my To Read list on Goodreads. Your review appealed to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails