Thursday, May 16, 2013

{Blogger's Quilt Festival} Sadie

Whenever I see that another Blogger's Quilt Festival is coming up, I start to rack my brain, trying to think of what I've done since the last festival that I really want to show off. This time, it was easy.

I'm sharing Sadie with you because I am absolutely head over heels in love with this little quilt!


My original plan was to make a scrappy pink version of  this baby quilt, but then I decided that I wanted a pieced border. To keep it a good size for a baby quilt, I made smaller churn dash blocks. You can find all of the details in the tutorial.

I've started giving my baby quilts people names. It makes them so much easier to keep track of than "Blue Sheet Quilt #1" and "the one with the pink hearts." And it makes me stop and think about them and take pictures and write a blog post. There are baby quilts from past years that I can't find any record of except for the pictures in my album.

Usually, I don't decide on a name until the quilt is nearly done.

 
Sadie started with her name. It was on the list when I was brainstorming names for Sara, but sometimes I save names I really like for special quilts. Sadie is a cowgirl -- a girly cowgirl who needed a pink and brown churn dash quilt. And I'm sure that my imaginary little cowgirl has a well-worn stuffed horsey that accompanies her everywhere.
 
By  the time I had the top assembled, I was pretty sure that this quilt was going to live in my sewing room. So I decided to try some custom quilting. I outlined around all of the squares in the churn dashes and then stippled around them -almost- as tightly as I could. Not quite as tightly as I quilted Lobster Sue, but it's close.


I'll hang onto her until I either find the right baby to send her off to, or make a bigger version for myself and don't need this one anymore. That's how it tends to work around here.

AmysCreativeSide.com

22 comments:

Cherilyn said...

Sadie looks so soft and cuddly. Perfect for a sweet baby girl. I really like the scrappy churn dash block!

Canadian Abroad said...

Soft is the first word that comes to my mind too. Lovely quilt.

CitricSugar said...

It's so pretty, Michelle... I saw it pop up in my reader the other day but I wanted to save it for my festival internet binge! :-)

Love the use of that warm ecru/tan with the soft pink. It's very subtle but lovely.

Julie said...

I love it! The colors, fabric, and story are all so cute!

Lauren Deel said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Sadie is so charming. Love it.

Elizabeth said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Such a simple block, but all the pretty pinks and the tan background really make it special.

xo -E

Sandy said...

So adorable and the name is perfect!

Unknown said...

It is so cute! and what a wonderful idea about quilt names - love it:))

Karen said...

A great quilt with lovely colours. Great idea to name quilts!

Renee said...

What a cute quilt! I do love the pink and brown together.

Lorna said...

I love the soft look of this quilt created by the tan background. I never would have considered that color and I love it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Dianne Neale said...

It's a very pretty quilt. ANd a nice little story too!

Melanie said...

I love the idea of giving quilts names of people! I always struggle with that aspect of the process. What a great solution and a lovely, girly quilt! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Barbara said...

What a sweet quilt.

Amy said...

A super sweet quilt! I love the background color with all the pinks. What a cute idea naming all your quilts! And your quilting is beautiful.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Very pretty and the tutorial has been bookmarked, I think I'll be using it before too long. :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

I love the soft color palette here! Beautiful!

Jennie said...

The colours are so pretty and delicate!

Anonymous said...

Love the colours and picking a name for each quilt is a cool idea!

DanaK ~ WaterPenny said...

It really is darling - perfect picture with the little horse on it!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

So beautiful! What a great quilt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails