Wednesday, November 23, 2011

they're all cut!

My original goal was to get 100 of the hourglass units done this week. That
seemed like enough to count as decent progress, but not enough to overwhelm me. Now, I've got all of the pieces cut, and half of them sewn into pairs. And a few more assembled into the hourglass units.

All of those loose little triangles sitting in a pile at the side of my sewing machine make me nervous. I'm afraid that something will happen to scatter them and then I'll have to count again.

As much as I love playing with little pieces of fabric, I hate counting them --especially 448 of them. I'm not sure I've ever needed 448 pairs of anything before! The entire drunkard's path quilt took 320 units. Grandma's Donuts took 320 wedges.

I avoid counting pieces as much as I can.

For Quinn's Trip Around the World I know I need two hundred and sixteen strips. So I cut a bunch and assembled them into blocks and at some point I'll count the blocks and see how many more blocks I need and multiply it by six to see how many strips short I am. I did something similar with the pieces for Cabbage Roses, my drunkard's path quilt.

That's one of the reasons why I make so many quilts with 2 1/2" squares. I cut a bunch, use what I need, and toss what's left into my box of squares. Sooner or later they get used up. Or I need to cut more for the next project.

While I wait for the next clue, I'll see how many more of those hourglass blocks I can get sewn and finish up another UFO.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails