Tuesday, January 29, 2019

{I've Been Reading} The Body in the Attic



The Body in the Attic by Judy Lynn

A trio of house flippers finds a skeleton in the attic of their newest purchase and Jazzi immediately recognizes the engagement rings and locket it wears. Her mother's sister didn't run off to New York all these years ago...she's been tucked away in a trunk close to home. 

I really enjoyed this one. It's the perfect read to escape your own day into someone else's life for a few hours. Every Sunday, Jazzi hosts a meal for her extended family. She also makes lunches for herself, Jerod, and Ansel during their workdays, so there's a lot of yummy sounding food to read about. The characters are actively working on the house, so you get vicarious renovations. There's also a strong romance and if I have any complaints about this book it's that that relationship moved so  quickly and easily into place. Years of romance reading must have have left me expecting complications.



Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal by Rose Pressey

Cookie Chanel spends a lot of time talking to ghosts so it doesn't surprise her when she picks up a new companion while providing vintage clothing for a fashion shoot in a graveyard. What does surprise her is when a gunshot leaves the photographer dead.

As much as I hate to say it, because I really enjoyed the first books in this series, I didn't get caught up in either the murder mystery or the story of Minnie, the ghost of a 1920s flapper. The rules around the ghosts are suddenly changing and there was one new twist thrown in near the middle of the book that really intrigued me, but I didn't love this one.

Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with an advance review  copy. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails