Thursday, August 01, 2019

{Estate Sale Temptations} Paraphernalia, Epherma, and Everything Else

I question whether this one was actually an estate sale, and honestly I hope the stuff being sold had belonged to the woman running the sale. This is how it was advertised --

4000 square feet, Decades of Collections! Complete clearance 
of 2000 sq. ft. mixed media artist studio, wood and metal 
shop, household goods, furniture, plants, building materials 
and tools!

Collections of 40 years of vintage and antique objects utilized 
in my found object artwork (as seen on Oregon Art Beat). 
Tins, boxes, science paraphernalia, ephemera, dolls, industrial 
parts, gears, clocks, watches, game pieces, camera parts and 
lenses, furniture detritus, old toys, gadgets and gizmos galore!



After reading that ad, the boys and I had to take a bit of a road trip. It was exactly as promised, in an old church that I'm guessing is where the artist lived. There were sooooo many tempting goodies, but we left empty handed.


There were a lot of things there my son and I would have loved for our projects, but we're going to have to find them in dusty old barns ourselves if we're going to stick to our budget. And knowing how much time and effort went into bringing all of that treasure into one place, I don't begrudge her her prices one bit.


I keep looking for a croquet set (I have no idea why, but I do) and this one was only five bucks. But for some reason, it wasn't the one. Someday I'll find an inexpensive set and buy it.


And someday I'll find my paper cutter. I had one just like the small one at our old house, locked up in the pantry to keep little fingers safe. In the chaos of our move I don't know if my husband put it in a safe place here or if it was stolen in the break in, which has been annoying me ever since. It could be in a box of my husband's stuff in the barn or shop, or it could have been stolen. Honestly, it could be up in my sewing room under that missing box of hot iron transfers I never did find...

Does anyone else find that table sized cutter absolutely terrifying? I know it's not going to swing open on its own and hurt someone, but I also didn't want to be anywhere near it. Maybe that's a sign that I've seen too many horror movies.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I remember a paper cutter like the small one sitting on the counter at the back of my grade school classroom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails