Friday, April 26, 2013

Let's Make Baby Quilts! {week 17}

My baby quilt for this week is Orion -- you can read all about him in yesterday's post, and the pattern is in the sidebar (he's Peter's fraternal twin.)
 
I quilted this one in free-motion spirals, reminding myself over and over not to get carried away and make them as tight as Emily's spirals were.  It's still fairly densely quilted, but that's how I do my quilts. I want them to stand up through washing after washing. If they're going to get used, they're going to fall out of strollers and car seats and land in gravel or mud puddles -- and that doesn't even take into consideration what a baby can get all over a quilt!
 
And, if one of these winds up in the hands of a quilter, she can entertain herself by figuring out the quilting pattern or picking apart whether or not my points and corners match.
 

How do you assemble your baby quilts? My two youngest came home from the NICU with quilts. One was tied and the other was, I'm almost positive, stitched in the ditch. I'm not going to pull it out of the closet right now to check -- but if it was free motion, I'd remember. I spent enough time examining all of the different prints.

Be sure to check out Jo Kramer's new pattern for the Moda Bake Shop, Oink a Doodle Moo Times Two or Three -- she's come up with an absolutely adorable way to get three quilts out of one jelly roll!

Let's Make Baby Quilts Linky Party Rules:

Link directly to your post or specific Flickr photo. Your post can be about a baby quilt that's finished, or in progress, or you can be writing about what you have planned, but it's got to be about baby quilts. While we're still gathering steam, you're welcome to link to baby quilt posts that aren't brand new, but please don't submit the same post or picture more than once. I'd love it if you linked back to my site, either with a text link or the Let's Make Baby Quilts! button.





1 comment:

Lorna McMahon said...

Orion is a beautiful quilt... But what a tease... More pictures, please! Lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails