Friday, January 18, 2013

Meet Emily

This one is Emily.


She would have been one of my quickest baby quilts ever, but I got a little bit carried away with the free motion quilting. The swirls I did on Quinn's green quilt last week were much looser than I wanted them to be. They would have been absolutely perfect for this quilt.
 
And they're what I planned to do until I started with the spirals between the birds and wound up doing  some of the tightest little spirals imaginable. I love the way it looks, but I'm thinking that the quilting made it just a little too stiff for a good baby quilt.
 
I'll see if it softens up in the wash. If not, it'll look really cute hanging on a wall. If I was going to wind up with an unusable baby quilt, I'm kind of glad it's this one -- I could enjoy having this one in my sewing room.
 

The birds are from the pattern I used for my Birds in the Air quilt. They're fused and machine zig zagged around the edges -- a lot quicker and easier than the Nancy Drew applique!

The back is the same blue fabric I used for the nine patches on the front.
 



This post is linked to to Let's Make Some Baby Quilts!,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop?Link a Finish Friday, and Freedom Fridays.

8 comments:

Stella Nemeth said...

I like your all over swirls. I need to try to do some of those too.

Scrapatches said...

This is so pretty! I love the Nancy Drew Applique one, too. You make lovely baby quilts ... :) Pat

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is lovely. I really like the birds :)

Lynette said...

Hopefully it'll loosen up in the wash - it's so pretty with those swirls! Love the birds.

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty quilting, Michelle! I think you'll be surprised by how much it softens up in the wash. Whoop whoop!

Kristen said...

Love it. Always great to practice a new FM pattern. It will look beautifully crinkled in the wash.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the simplicity of Emily.

Turid said...

Great quilt and great quilting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails