Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Birds in the Air

It's Blogger's Quilt Festival time again, and because I haven't finished anything big or ambitious in a while, I'm pulling out one of my favorites.



I'm honestly not sure how or why I made this quilt. At the time, I'd never worked with triangles before. I certainly didn't know how to do applique. About the time I was starting this one, my best friend had decided to do an improved nine-patch, complete with curves and templates. Compared to that, maybe this project looked easy!

Many quilts after I'd finished this one, triangles still made me nervous. I remembering stumbling across it at one point and having this weird "Hey, I've done this many triangles before -- what am I so scared of?" moment. It's also proof that I can manage enough blocks for a bed size quilt. I originally wanted to make it smaller, but I didn't want to sacrifice any of the blackbirds and didn't want to crowd them together.

This is my favorite leap-before-you-look quilt, and it proves what you can accomplish if you don't think about it too hard before starting that first block.

12 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

It's a beautiful quilt, and I applaud your bravery in tackling that many triangles!

SewCalGal said...

What a delightful quilt. Perfectly pieced and refreshing color. Love it. You did a great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic! Birds in flight has been on my must make list for a long time!

Denise :) said...

This is such a great quilt -- I love the black birds on it!! :)

beaquilter said...

that looks so nice, triangles , applique and the SIZE! good going

Leanne said...

It's beautiful! I love how you used different shades of blue, it is so nice and calm.

Miri said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!

Angie said...

It is totally awesome!!! I LOVE the blackbirds appliqued on it. The first time I've seen it done with applique---just beautiful!

Quiltbenaco said...

E'troppo bella, io non saprei gestire così tanti triangoli!
Un grande lavoro!
Ciao

Eileen said...

Beautiful. Fun story of just jumping in and doing it...i often do that. Sometimes get stymied but it's a good thing for me most of the time. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Julie Fukuda said...

I love triangles the most and your quilt is charming.

Kit Lang said...

Love the addition of the birds - it elevates the whole thing! thanks for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails