Tuesday, January 15, 2013

this is why...

This quilt is a perfect example of why I don't make quilts for my own children.  It never works out.  There was the sock monkey quilt I made for Alex, which is so ugly I think we'd both agree that it isn't worth hanging onto.  There was the dinosaur quilt I made for Quinn, which he told me I should give to Grandma...
 
And there's this one, which I made for Quinn because for years everything for that boy had to be all green all the time.  And now he likes black. The story does have a happy ending -- now that it's done, he's happily claimed it as his own and is sleeping under it every night. With other covers on top.
 
It's too big to spread out and get a picture of the whole thing. (Do all of the other quilters have bigger houses?)


This is from before I got the binding on, but it does show off the whole quilt in better lighting.  In real life, the blocks blend together and you have to look hard and count squares to see where one begins and the next one ends.


The backing is a  clearance fabric from Connecting Threads. I love how  gently busy it is -- this'll hide damage and stains and ink pen!
 
 
 
Now I'm wondering if I have scraps to make a black postage stamp quilt.  For me, because I'm not making any more quilts for these boys.  Can't picture it? Take a look at what Carly at Citrus Sugar did with blacks for the background of her Punisher quilt!
 
This post is linked to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. 

9 comments:

beaquilter said...

the quilt is nice, if he likes green, he GOT a green quilt.

Dresden Quilter said...

I like it. It has a watercolour effect.

Dee said...

Funny, I was just snuggling on a futon in my junior in college boy's room...under a quilt I made him...to order...that was on a shelf and he never uses! I feel your pain, but I love your Scrappy Trips Quilt! The colors are so soothing and it's awesome!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a great quilt and sometimes it can be frustrating making the perfect quilt for someone Michelle. Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Anne Simonot said...

It's beautiful! I love the Scrappy Trips pattern, and I'll be making it again someday.

PatSloan said...

this is a great quilt!!! Thank you for sharing on my Show and Tell post today!

CitricSugar said...

Wow - that green mix is just gorgeous! So much dimension…!

And thanks for the shout-out - I was just scrolling down to comment and there my name was. I had a little 'aw, shucks' moment. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the green's - great job.

Heather said...

My favorite colors, too... and it looks great! I'll bet he just loves it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails