Thursday, April 25, 2013

Meet Orion

The sun is shining! I had to take my cheddar pinwheels out into the daylight to get pictures -- and I managed to do it without falling through the bridge.
 

This one came about because I wasn't entirely happy with Peter. His white pinwheels didn't stand out against the green prints as much as I'd expected them to. Cheddar is vivid. There's nothing remotely cheddary in these blue prints -- and it made a huge difference in the finished quilt.  
 

Even though I know darn well these are pinwheels, I keep thinking of them as stars. So I decided to name this one Orion, after a little boy we used to go to playgroup with when Teenage Daughter was itty-bitty. You know, that point where they're too young to actually be in a playgroup but you really, really want to go out and do something with your adorable little child? His mom and I put a ton of miles on our strollers together.
 
My original background choice was a flannel with rocket ships and planets on it, but I managed to misplace it while I was assembling the top and decided to go with this cheater cloth mariner's compass instead. And I'm glad I did -- now I've got other plans for those rocket ships!
 

You can find the pattern  for this quilt here. I'm linking up to Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?Link a Finish Friday, and Freedom Fridays.

17 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

Whoop, Whoop, they both look great.

Quilty Conscience said...

The cheddar really perks up those blues!I often think of blue quilts but I think they are rather blah without a spark of color. I normally go red, (how predictable!) but now I'm thinking I should pick up some cheddar to keep on hand.

Karen said...

Very pretty. I love the splash of cheddar color.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just a delightful quilt!

Unknown said...

yay! I love pinwheels! Beautiful photography as well :)

Sinea said...

So beautiful. Wow!
How would you like to stop by and add this link to my Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop? That would be great!

Blessings,
Sinea
Ducks ‘n a Row

Crispy said...

I totally love this little quilt!! The backing fabric couldn't have been better :0)

Crispy

Reese @ Quilty Reese said...

Very pretty!

Snowcatcher said...

Just the right amount of cheddar to really make the blues pop. Adorable quilt, and I love the name Orion.

Renee said...

Beautiful quilt! I am in the planning stage of a similar one--what size are your squares?

Anonymous said...

I really like the blue and yellow colors choices :-)

Karee said...

starry, starry night! love it.

ipatchandquilt said...

Congratulations on your finish! The yellow just POPS! Great design decision!!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Looks fantastic! Blues and yellows are a favourite of mine!

MellieWo said...

Looks great and the quilting looks fab as well. My son loves stars and is out-growing his baby quilt
:( so maybe something similar for him. Thanks for the inspiration!

Frances Meredith said...

Great to see the two colourways - I like the cheddar too.

Anonymous said...

Hey nice colours! I've finished a 'Bohemian' quilt in really similar tones - Bohemian is the name of a Anna Maria Horner pattern I adapted, but I think the pattern selection fits the bill, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails