Monday, May 20, 2019

Drama at the Laundromat (and Some Stitching)

One of the things that's surprised me about Stitch Maynia is how frequently I'm looping back to my earlier starts. A Caledonian Sky is the long kitted up project that I started on the first of the month and since then I've found myself putting more and more stitches into it. 


I tucked it into my purse on our last laundry day because I'm filling in blocks of solid color and  the lighting at the laundromat is surprisingly good.  I'd get in some stitching while the dirty clothes sloshed around and got clean.

Maybe I'll stitch at the laundromat next week....

This time, I put up my stitching halfway through the load because my oldest son had run across the parking lot to Walmart to pick up a couple of things and came back to tell me they were evacuating the store because of a chemical fire.

A chemical fire? How bad was that? There's a large expanse of parking lot between the laundromat and Walmart. I had eight minutes left before the machine unlocked and no one else in the building seemed worried.  If it was a big fire, they'd also evacuate the strip mall, right? I was watching the timer on the washing machine tick down while also watching more emergency vehicles arrive and wondering at what point I should abandon all of my husband's and sons' clothing. As soon as that lock clicked open, we got everything together and joined the line of cars waiting to leave the parking lot.

On the drive home, we passed fire trucks headed from our small town to Lebanon. That didn't seem like a good sign at all.

I love that social media lets us find out what really happened. There was a fire on the shelves of pool chemicals.  Several streets and businesses around the store were closed because of the smoke (I'm guessing that included the laundromat and so glad our timing wasn't worse and that we didn't lose our clothes!) On Friday, a local man was arrested for arson.

After we got home, I did some more stitching.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails