Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Smart Bees and Dumb Bees

I hadn't realized how much I missed having bees to watch. I'd also forgotten how much I tend to worry about the bugs. The day after Hubby installed them into their hives, I left the house early in the morning. There wasn't a bee to be seen, which had me worried for half the day. I swear the other hives used to get an earlier start.

One hive seems to have lots of bees coming and going. The other doesn't. I didn't realize what was going on until Hubby pointed it out. The bees in the less busy looking hive are zipping in and out of their entrance.  The bees who look like they're being more productive are milling around trying to figure out how to get back inside...or maybe there's a purpose to their dawdling, but it sure looks like they don't know where to go.

A post shared by Michelle Marr (@romantictangle) on

I'd love to sit outside and knit by the hive, but I've been warned that bees don't like wool. Standing close enough to the hive to take this picture was probably enough recklessness for one day.

1 comment:

Podunk Pretties said...

We have two hives. Like yours one is smart the other seems dumb. Usually the dumb one swarms or splits. The dumb one also beards occasionally. I wondering if it has something to do with the queen. It's my hubbies hobby so I don't know much about them. Actually the only thing I do is try to avoid getting stung and help with extracting the honey from the combs...after he brings them in the house.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails