Monday, August 12, 2013

monday design wall


Are there some blog you read that just get you into trouble? I think Moose Bay Muses is one of mine. (The real culprit is Temecula Quilting, but it's the links from Karen's Blog that keep taking me there.)

A while back, I saw her post about the 2"  bow ties and fell in love. Even though I'm making slow progress, I'm having all sorts of fun with my cheddar bow ties.  Now that it's looking like I might actually reach the end of this quilt I think I want to play with a different layout or background color. Smaller bowties? That'll work!  The layout is in this post.  (I'm not claiming I'll actually make 1200 bow ties , but it's possible.)

Saturday morning, I saw Karen's post about the cake stand baskets and followed the link and SQUEEE!  Those are just so adorable!

Take a look at these pieces with the pieces of a bow tie block for comparison. They're tiny. (I think these might be the ones I had to replace because I'd read the measurements wrong for the second time, but even at the size they should be, they're itty-bitty.)

 
I didn't know if I'd be able to actually piece one of these little  cake stands or not, but I managed it. And I think I've got the patience to do at least a few more....possibly enough for a little quilt.
 
Strawberry Fields has held the record for the smallest units I've pieced to date. (There might be some smaller elements from the Quilt Square Quilt Along, but I'm not digging them out to measure.)
 
The cake basket blocks are smaller. One block is the size of  a patch from the postage stamp quilts I'm working on. And I managed to piece the thing....I think I'm a little bit giddy here...


For more design walls, head over to Patchwork Times.

3 comments:

Dar said...

Those are real cute, but I don't think you are giddy -- I'd call it crazy -- in a nice way. I'm leaning to bigger pieces instead of smaller -- it's probably because I can see as well and I'm older than dirt!

Bonnie said...

OOH. I want to make those cake stands too. I've saved the pattern, But, I CAN NOT start any new projects until I finish a few! I will live vicariously through you!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I'm SO sorry to get you into trouble--not!! Your little cake stand is adorable--can't wait to see what you do with yours. I'm totally impressed by your Strawberry Fields--those dreaded square in a square blocks are pretty small (and cute!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails