Monday, August 18, 2014

Halloween Parlor Quilt Tutorial

Got a bunch of 1 1/2" strips of blacks and neutrals and an urge for a fun new Halloween quilt? I love the way the intricately pieced borders of this one suggest an ornate frame.  For this year, I want to make myself another one with a scalloped black outer border.  


From neutral 1 1/2" strips, cut eight 8 1/2 strips and sew them long sides together to form the background for the center square. Press.

Print the bird silhouette and enlarge or reduce it so that it fits neatly into the center square. Using fusible web, applique the bird into the center square. I zigzagged around the outer edges of mine with black thread.


For the hourglass units, use the Companion Angle to cut quarter square triangles from 1 1/2" strips.  (Not sure how to use the Companion Angle? I've got pictures in the tutorial for Strawberry Stars.) Sew them into pairs to make half square triangles, then sew the half square triangles to make a total of sixty-four 2 1/2" hourglass square units.



For the pieced border, you'll be making panels from the hourglass squares. Make two panels each two squares wide by four squares high. and sew them on the left and right sides of the center square. Make two panels each three squares wide by eight squares wide and sew them to the top and bottom of the quilt.





This is the clip art silhouette I used for my quilt --



I made this quilt last year and meant to do a tutorial then, but a series of last minute changes in the layout meant that the pictures I took while assembling it didn't match the finished project.

Be sure to check out  my other free Halloween Tutorials -- Halloween Parlor Quilt Haunted House PotholderPotion Bottle Mug RugPumpkin Carving Wall Quilt To be notified when new tutorials are added, follow my blog or like Michelle's Romantic Tangle on Facebook.

5 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

I love the colors and the raven--perfect bit of scary but not toooo Halloween:)

Emily Thompson said...

that is so cute! Love how perfect it is for fall! You are being features today at the Create Link Inspire weekend features over at Nap-Time Creations. I've pinned and shared this! Thanks for linking!

piecefulwendy said...

This is very cute! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I love this piece! Ravens/huge crows are my favorite!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails