Friday, February 10, 2012

littler baby quilts

I decided which layout I liked better and finished up Itty Bitty Blue Barn Raising.



I absolutely love little baby quilts. It's so much fun to make a few blocks and experiment with a color scheme or layout. I'm almost always happy with the results. Sometimes I'm so happy that I decide to make a bigger version. Sometimes I make it again with a slightly different layout or color scheme.

When I started the baby quilts a couple of years ago, I was making them about 30" square -- the same size as the receiving blankets that I always tucked into my little babies' strollers or car seats. Then I kept reading that people liked to make bigger, much bigger, baby quilts, and I gave in to peer pressure and started making my own quilts bigger.

This past week, I found out that a local quilt shop is collecting quilts for the NICU and wants them 30" square. KaHolly is collecting even littler ones, starting at 24" square.

So I bought myself some white muslin and I'm having fun. I had a whole lot of half square triangles left over from the two Extra Scrappy Pinwheels, so I decided to try repeating the bloodthirsty little quilt again, this time with only two colors and checkerboard nine patch blocks.



And I haven't put aside my drab postage stamps. I'm using those as leaders and enders while I play with the baby quilts.

This post is linked to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts, Sew and Tell, and Can I get a Whoop-Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

11 comments:

krisgray said...

Love your little quilts! They're so much easier - period!

Amy said...

That's the layout I would have picked too! I would have said so on the earlier post, but figured by the time I read it you would have made your choice...

I bet you feel vindicated on the blanket sizes. :)

Anonymous said...

small projects are always such a joy after working on a big one! It takes a while for me to work up the gumption to do a big one after a finish!
Whoop Whoop!

Carla said...

Love those mini quilts! I would of layed it out the same way.

Abby said...

Two great quilts to help use up all my scraps. They are both darling. Thanks for sharing!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Both are so great!!

Denise :) said...

Little quilts are sweet. The NICU quilts our guild makes to donate are 20 X 29. I did make the two baby quilts for my grandbabies bigger, because I wanted them to be able to still cuddle into their toddler years!! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the smaller baby quilts too - when did someone (or who) decide they need a full size quilt? Very sweet.

Shawn said...

These quilts are fun, so pretty!!!

Sarah Craig said...

Sweet little quilts! I agree with you on size - we make our baby quilts about 36" square for the newborns in our church. Most of the moms say this is a really good size for using with a carseat. We save the bigger quilts for toddlers and grade-schoolers.....

Whoop whoop!!

Sally said...

These are very pretty! I haven't made any baby quilts yet, but I will be soon (my bestie is pregnant with twins!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails