Friday, January 27, 2012

my bloodthirsty little quilt

I'm sure glad to have this one done!



I can't believe how many times I jabbed myself. First it was unfastening the safety pins while I was doing the machine quilting. Then it was while changing the two broken sewing machine needles. Then it was while trying to extricate the hand needle that snapped while I was sewing sewing down the binding. Not to mention the number of times that I stabbed myself while I was sewing down the binding.

Surprisingly, none of it actually drew blood -- have I mentioned how glad I am that I'm not on blood thinners anymore?

I love the pattern and I like the swirly quilting, although I think I've done it better on other quilts. I'd totally make this one again and again. But I'm holding a grudge against this particular fabric and thread and batting. They're out to get me. I might make a special trip down to the pregnancy center just to get this one out of my life quickly!



January 31 is almost here, so I decided it was time to get started on the first little quilt for Jo's Quilt Square Quilt Along. I bought the pattern, so I'm actually committed. We're going to be making four of the quilts from this pattern - I can't wait to see what the other three are. I definitely have my own favorites from each of the three patterns we'll be using over the course of the year!

To get the strips for her square, Jo cut 2 1/2" strips in half. I'm cutting down strips from my 1 1/2" strip bin -- the one I keep adding to for my log cabin variations. I'm planning on making each piece a different print. If I'd thought ahead, all of my pinwheel blades would be different too, but I'm not starting over now.

This post is linked to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts and Can I get a Whoop-Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. And don't forget to enter my 1000th post giveaway. You could win some of the quilting and knitting books that make my heart go pitty-pat.

12 comments:

KaHolly said...

Your bloodthirsty little quilt is gorgeous! I love scrappy. I just can't help it.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Love the scrappiness of it. While I love all quilts the scrappy ones are the "real" quilts to me because that's what I remember seeing as I was growing up and that's pretty much all I make any more.

Jo said...

Looking Good...both the quilt and the block.

Denise :) said...

I love the look of the pinwheel inside the log cabin! And your sweet little finish is darling ... bloodthirsty or no! :)

JustPam said...

What a great little quilt!

Anonymous said...

Love that pattern! Your quilting & fabrics are just as awesome!

I believe I must pin so I can find again during scrappy season!
Whoop Whoop!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Some quilts just seem to be evil - don;t they? I just love this one no matter how you suffered - LOL!

Sue Daurio said...

Well I'm glad you finished that one too. So you can stop being tormented by it and so we can all enjoy it :) Looks wonderful. Love your mini quilt.

Ivory Spring said...

I love that quilt!!!!! Thanks for visiting me. I look forward to seeing what else you are making. :)

Pieces of Cotton said...

I really like that - a chain of stars - very striking.

Miki Willa said...

Your quilt is beautiful! What a great pattern.

Sarah Craig said...

I love this quilt - so colorful and cheerful!! Whoop whoop!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails