Sunday, March 17, 2019

{Guest Post} Second Chance at Faith Releases Today! by Joanna Campbell Slan


Today marks the birthday (release date) of my newest book, Second Chance at Faith. This is a new (never published before) book, and the fourth episode/book in the life of Cara Mia Delgatto.

Writing about faith presented a challenge for me because I did not want to write an overtly religious book. In fact, I didn’t want to write about organized religion at all. That said, misplaced faith is an important part of this book. We often put our faith in the wrong things—and my characters did exactly that, over and over.

Cara puts her faith in her business acumen. She’s a savvy business owner, but she’s gotten a little too big for her britches. Lou puts his faith in a medical procedure. The Sabotinis put their faith in superstitions. These are three examples, but as you read the book, you’ll find more instances of misplaced faith.

My Second Chance books are contemporary and set on Florida’s East Coast, otherwise known as The Treasure Coast. Every Second Chance book includes a touch of history. Usually, I have to go out and do research for my stories. This time, my information was (literally) next door.

My neighbor, Bill Brisben, owned the rights to the sunken Spanish Armada of 1715. If that sounds familiar, this particular shipwreck was immortalized in the movie Fool’s Gold with Matthew Mc Conaughey and Kate Hudson. Bill’s wife, Dr. Lori Hamilton Brisben, and I are good friends. Lori told me about a coral and gold rosary that she wore to a few fancy events. The image stuck with me, and with the Brisbens’ permission, I used the piece in my book.

My books also include everything I love about life, and in this case, I tossed in a scene at Sweetie’s Ice Cream and More, a local ice cream shop. Sweetie’s was once owned by a man named Tony, whose lifelong dream was to retire and own an ice cream shop. That Tony sold the shop to another Toni, Antoinette Norris. Toni scoops up the best tasting salted caramel ice cream ever, produced by a Florida company named Laughing Cow.

I love crafting. In the book, EveLynn creates quilted pillow tops in the shape of shamrocks. I decided to try my hand at one in miniature. The paper piecing method works pretty well for miniature quilt making, but once I got the shamrock done, I realized a plain muslin background would not look good. I hand-sewed strips, cut them, and sewed them back together for a block pattern. Unfortunately, I didn’t make a pattern first. ARGH!! But I hope that well it’s all done, I can disguise my mistakes.
My books also include food I love, and in this case, I chose to focus on ice cream. I tossed in a scene at Sweetie’s Ice Cream and More, a local ice cream shop. Sweetie’s was once owned by a man named Tony, whose lifelong dream was to retire and own an ice cream shop. That Tony sold the shop to another Toni, Antoinette Norris. Toni scoops up the best tasting salted caramel ice cream ever, produced by a Florida company named Laughing Cow.

Tell me: What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream? I’ll pick one lucky winner on Wednesday and give that person a digital copy of the first book in the series, Second Chance at Love.

More about Second Chance at Faith
The fourth book in a clean, romantic, mystery series set in Florida that focuses on love and friendship with a touch of history, too.
A priceless coral-and-gold artifact intended for a queen disappears from a locked hotel room in Stuart, Florida. The item was on loan as part of a charity event--and Cara Mia Delgatto was one of the first people who entered the empty ballroom. Who else could have stolen it but her?
The situation seems impossible! The philanthropic community of South Florida is blaming Cara for the loss—and the charity event is promptly canceled.
The backlash could hurt sales at the Treasure Chest, Cara’s store specializing in upcycled, recycled, and repurposed goods. She moved to the Treasure Coast of Florida for a second chance at life and love. Now it looks as though Cara's business might be caught in the undertow. In the meantime, her good friend MJ is battling with breast cancer, and Skye is having serious problems of her own. Cara's support system is seriously shipwrecked.
With all this going on, Cara's life is in turmoil. Can all this stormy weather sink her just like it did the Queen's Treasure Fleet of 1715?


Let’s Get Social—

List of Joanna’s Works
Joanna’s Website
Facebook Author Page
Facebook (Joanna’s Readers Group)
Facebook (Joanna’s Personal Page)
Facebook (Joanna’s Coloring Club)
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Goodreads
Amazon Author Page
Pinterest

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails