Saturday, October 22, 2016

Food52 A New Way to Dinner



The idea behind Food52 A New Way to Dinner: A Playbook of Strategies for the Week Ahead is that you do most of the prep work on the weekend and then use what you've already cooked to make quick meals the rest of  the week. That sounds like exactly the kind of miracle I've been looking for, so I happily accepted a review copy from  the publisher.

There's a lot about this book to like. There are a lot of  recipes here, all with clear instructions. Weekly shopping lists are divided  into categories to make the trip to the store easier. Shortcuts and substitutions are offered in case your weekend doesn't allow for all of the suggested tasks. There are deserts and alcoholic beverages and lunches, not just dinners.

Ultimately, this isn't the book that's going to solve my nightly struggles. Too many of the foods are either completely unfamiliar or things that I know my family won't eat (and that's just taking the adults into consideration.) I'm looking for meals that I can prepare with products from the local grocery store... I'm not expecting to find ramps or garlic scapes when I can only find leeks on a good day. That's not a complaint about the book, though. It's a great looking plan that's not well-suited to our household.

What's your nightly plan? Anyone know of a cookbook or great website that's got healthy food with less exotic ingredients?

Disclosure - The publisher provided me with an electronic ARC. 

2 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Rachel Ray has a similar concept in her "Week in a Day" book, except it doesn't have grocery lists for every scenario. Her recipes use more common ingredients and if you watch any of her cooking segments she gives common substitutions for more exotic ingredients. My absolute favorite cookbook is "Reader's Digest Great Recipes for Good Health."

Anonymous said...

As matter of fact, I can highly recommend Andy at The Weary Chef. Easy, common ingredients, and not expensive. Also delicious. There are tons of recipes and if you sign up for her e-mails, you get updates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails