Thursday, November 28, 2013

Our "new" New Cook Book

For our wedding, someone gave us a copy of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. We used it, a lot, over the next twenty-two years. I can't remember the last time the cover was attached. The last pages of the index were next to go, followed by the pages  for all of my favorite recipes.

Hubby and I both agreed that it was time to replace it, but the recipes have changed in the different editions and we wanted this one!


A couple of months ago, when we were roaming antique malls in Arizona, we spotted this one:



The publication date was 1991, which got my hopes up. It didn't look quite like we remembered our battered copy, but for four bucks, we figured it was worth a gamble. Turns out it's not the right book. Of course the copyright page in our wedding copy went the way of the cover and index, so we'll never know which one we're looking for (wouldn't that make things just too easy?), but at least it's got the recipes I was hoping for, the ones which aren't the same in my mom's 1970s era edition.

My favorites? Cream Puffs and Chicken Paprikash.

So what's your go-to cookbook? Got a favorite dinner from this one that I should try?




7 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

Anymore, I rely on internet sites for cooking. I do enjoy being inspired by a cookbook. Love Julee Rosso Great Good Food.

Terri in BC said...

I have 2 versions of that cookbook; my mom's old one from 1959 and mine from 1981. I keep both for the same reason, the recipes change over time and I like my old standbys. I really should collect them in my own cookbook one day.

Terri said...

I have cook books, and like you I used them a lot when we were newly wed. Now I cook and he loves what I thought up, and I don't touch the cookbooks anymore... we have been married 45 years, and I did cook at home before that.
Hugs

Jackie's Stitches said...

My mom gave me that cookbook when I got married in 1982. I still have it though I haven't used it in years. She makes cream puffs from it and they are absolutely beyond delicious!

Timestep said...

I love cookwise and bakewise by Shirley o. Corriher. They are more like science books in that they talk about the science of why things cook the way they do (I.e., the protein content of flour changing how recipes react).

Okay, I'll admit I've not seen the current versions, when I bought it it was a combined book call cookwise, but she's split them into two and expanded them.

Just as much fun to read as to cook from.

Timestep said...

I love cookwise and bakewise by Shirley o. Corriher. They are more like science books in that they talk about the science of why things cook the way they do (I.e., the protein content of flour changing how recipes react).

Okay, I'll admit I've not seen the current versions, when I bought it it was a combined book call cookwise, but she's split them into two and expanded them.

Just as much fun to read as to cook from.

Nancy said...

My go to cookbook is also the Better Homes and Garden only it was a wedding gift 43 years ago. The 70's version. I still use it although I love cookbooks and have bought many others over the years.
When I can't find what I want in a cookbook I hit allrecipes.com or the food network websites. I am sure to find something I like. I also really like the Pioneer Women cookbooks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails