Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Fort Rock Homestead Museum {Part 1}

Last week, the family took a road trip to the Fort Rock Homestead Museum in Central Oregon and I fell in love with every antique quilt in the place. 



I love reading about the era, and I definitely love reading about the quilts, but I never ever would have made it as a homesteader. Just listening to the wind whistle through the walls of these little houses was intimidating enough for me.


This kitchen confirmed my fears that I've messed up my children. One wanted to know why there was so much new stuff in a museum. I guess when Great Grandma owned an antique mall and Mom loves the thrift shops, the line between "new" and "old" gets really blurred.


Every one one of the five houses had embroidery and quilts to drool over. There wasn't a lot of information given about the houses and their contents so I'm guessing this was all donated to the historical society by different sources, and that a lot of  the quilts are, although old, newer than the houses themselves.


Can you imagine what that view must have been like in winter? The house has been moved to its current location, but I'm guessing the desert outside was pretty much the same.


I really wanted to see what was inside of that sewing machine case. The top seems way too short for any machine I've ever seen and the pedal is definitely different... Anyone know what one of these looks like inside?


Even the doctor's office had a frayed quilt on the bed.


I'm going to split this into two posts  because there are so many pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to know what's inside that sewing machine case. Did you catch a name on it?

Anonymous said...

Check this picture. It isn't exactly the same, but the machine in your photo might have been a similar smaller, older machine. Maybe? Treadle pic or this treadle. There are a number like that if you search, so I'm guessing this was a much older, smaller sewing machine model. But I would certainly like to see it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails