Sunday, April 14, 2013

yarn prices

While I was too busy quilting to knit, yarn prices crept up. I know, everything has gone up over the past couple of years, but I got a bad case of sticker shock a couple of years ago when I was looking for acrylic for the baby hats. The whole thing made me happily embrace the stash I've already got. I wasn't knitting much, so it was easy to pick my projects based on what I already had to work with. Especially since one of my favorite lace yarns has gone from $2.25 a skein to $4.95 a skein.

Suddenly, though, I'm finding sales that are just as good as the ones I used to find. And I'm buying yarn because those sales have become few and far between....even though I know that's terrible logic to use.

I walked away from clearance sock yarn in one of my favorite brands, in pretty colorways I'd never seen before (mostly because it wouldn't pool.)  I did pick up some soft acrylic for baby hats, and some kitchen cotton because they had so many pretty colors and I do like to knit dishcloths.  I'm also kind of blaming that wringer washer display at the quilt shop I visited last week. It kindled all sorts of dishcloth knitting urges, and then I saw the diagonal ones that Crispy Quilts is knitting.

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 31 yards
Added this Week: 6 yards
Added Year to Date: 86 1/2 yards
Net Added for 2012: 55.5 yards


Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 350 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 2800 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 4300 yards
Net Added for 2013: 7100 yards

To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times.


I'm playing with new yarn for the Pooling Sock Yarn Challenge and I've got to put the picture somewhere...so far, it doesn't look like it wants to pool.


3 comments:

autumngeisha said...

I know what you mean about the rising cost of yarn! That's why knitting from the stash is pretty much all I've been doing, too. It is a fun challenge to see what is there and find a good pattern to match it to, don't you think? Kind of like a jig-saw puzzle :)

kwiltnkats said...

Glad that you found some good deals for your yarn passion. Sounds like kniting can be stashy too. Enjoy your new colorways. Sandi

Crispy said...

I have very little in yarn so I have to bite the bullet and pay the price. If you ever see any good prices, give me a holler :0)

Crispy - Love the yarn you are showing, bummer that it won't pool for you :0(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails