Saturday, April 13, 2013

{Whatcha Reading?} 14

I just finished 14 by Peter Clines. Wow! I highly recommend this one, but I'm not sure how to explain why without giving too much away. 
 
The book wasn't at all what I expected it to be.  Based on that cover art, I thought I was in for something nastier.  If I'd known exactly what 14 was about, I probably wouldn't have picked the book up to read, because I didn't think I was interested in that sort of book...but I'm very glad I did read it.  And if you like kind of creepy Twilight Zone sort of stuff, I think you'll like it too.
 
How's that for a cryptic review?  The publisher didn't spoil the plot by giving things away in the book's description, so I'm not going to spoil it here. (If you do want spoilers, there are plenty to be found in the Amazon reviews.)
 

Here's the description from the publisher's website --

Padlocked doors. Strange light fixtures. Mutant cockroaches.

There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment.

Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn’t perfect, it’s livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don’t nag at him too much.

At least, not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela’s apartment. And Tim’s. And Veek’s.

Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends.

Or the end of everything...

This post is linked to What are you Reading? at Patchwork Times.  An electronic review copy was provided to me by the publisher.

3 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

It's funny, but sometimes the books you thought you wouldn't like turn out to be the best ones. I read a Neta Jackson series that really surprised me. It was very religious and that kind of thing just doesn't appeal to me, but the story was just so good that I read all four books in the series very quickly. I really need to check to see if another one ever came out. We just need to get out of our self-imposed boxes once in a while I guess.

Anne Simonot said...

I saw this one somewhere online & it looked intriguing. Thanks for the shout-out, I'm going to hunt this one down now.

Crispy said...

Hmmm that book sounds right up my alley. Kinda Dean Koontzish :0)

Crispy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails