Tuesday, April 16, 2013

quirky vacation destinations

lions

After talking to some other parents I know, I'm starting to get the feeling that we don't go on typical family vacations. Flying to Disney World? That's never gonna happen.  We load up on AAA guidebooks, pack the camping gear and, usually the morning we're due to leave home, pick a direction.

Unless we're using the timeshare. Then we actually know where we're headed and when we're going to get there, but that's only once every couple of years. The rest of the time, we just go.

I love my AAA books!  That's how we found the creepy museum of mental health. For the life of me, I can't remember what state it was in, just that it was housed in an old hospital and admission was free and thinking about it still spooks me a bit. (That was before we had kids -- I'm sure we wouldn't go back with them in tow.)

Roadside America is a great source of quirky places to visit. Before we set out in a trip, I used to skim through the listings for whatever states I thought we'd be going through. Now, I can see where we wind up and pull it up on my Kindle if we have lunch at a fast food place with wifi.

Atlas Obscura is a gorgeous site, good for travelling from your keyboard. I was browsing their site and actually figured out where I was when I took the above picture -- Two Guns, Arizona. Next time we go through that way, I'm going to try to talk Bill into looking for the Apache Death Cave. How have we missed that?

This summer, I want to go looking for the bigfoot trap. That sounds like a fun day trip.  And there's supposed to be a house around here shaped like a volcano....

This post is linked to WFMW at We are THAT Family

2 comments:

Regina said...

Love it!

Crispy said...

I love the quirky places too. I even live in a town with the worlds larges Holstein Cow LOL.

Crispy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails