Sunday, September 11, 2016

Year of the Stash Update


It's looking less and less like this will be the year that I finally get my yarn and fabric beautifully organized. There's just been too much other stuff going on for me to get up to the sewing room. What I may pull off though, is a year when I use more stash than I bring into the house -- at this point I'm only thirteen yards of fabric and ten or so skeins of yarn in the red!

I've used a lot of the yarn that's come home with me this year, but one of my goals is not to ignore the perfectly good yarn that's already sitting in my stash. It would be way too easy to focus on the pretty sock yarns and ignore the rest, so I'm always looking for mindless knitting ideas that will use up the worsted weight acrylic.  So far this year, that's been the creeper afghan and the Snoqualmie Wrap.

Now I'm thinking about mittens for the mitten tree that the local library has in December. I pulled together a bunch of bright acrylic and, instead of worrying about sorting through every last thing, I dumped the project bag into the bag the acrylic came out of. I'll knit now and sort through that later.

While I was pulling out the fabric for my Circus Purse, I found a four yard length of polar bear print. Part of my wonders why I own this, but I think I've got a vague memory of seeing it in one of the Craigslist hauls. It's perfectly good quilt shop quality fabric, but polar bears aren't my thing.

What polar bears are is blue...and I needed a length of blue fabric to back that lozenge baby quilt that I still haven't finished. Wonder how many other blue baby quilts I can back before I run out of polar bears...

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 6 1/2 yards
Fabric added this week:  0 yards
Fabric added year  to date: 18 1/4 yards (+2 sheets)
Net added for 2016: 12 3/4 yards

Yarn used this Week: 400  yards
Yarn used year to Date: 5250 yards
Yarn added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn added Year to Date: 7366 yards
Net added for 2016: 2116 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Run 'n Stitch said...

Organization...the never ending quest. If you're looking for an idea for your worsted, it is the best for afghans. I crocheted a cozy chevon in 1978 that I still use regularly. The brown and gold are a little out of date, but it still keeps us warm and there's no pilling or signs of wear.

Caroline said...

I'm with Kathi - if you still have leftover acrylic after your Creeper project (which is super cute!) a chevron blanket is really ideal. If you look at www.espacetricot (a very nice yarn shop in Montreal) they have a free pattern for a chevron baby blanket and it is fantastic. Embiggen at will ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails