I'm starting to believe that this will be a 2017 finish with no cheating involved. (I'd already told myself that I could count it as a finish as long as I got all of the cross-stitching done and then catch up on outlining the details later. Whatever it is, it's definitely not going to be a 2018 finish at this point!)
Look at how much difference an hour or two of backstitching made. The wagon is still floating, but the bridge and those rooftops look great. The stitching wasn't nearly as tedious as I expected it to be, but now I'm being tempted by the next project and choosing between the two I already had planned and one of the pretty new kits I got for Christmas.