Thursday, March 16, 2017

Vintage Dish Towels -- I Cheated With a Sharpie

Vintage Embroidery on a Flour Sack Towel with Sharpie

When I was deep in my obsession with dish towels that won't fall off of the stove rail, I saw that Target had flour sack towels for much less than the craft stores were charging. It's not often that I agree you get what you pay for, but these are a very low thread count that doesn't seem well suited for embroidery. (I'm sure they're fine for their intended purpose of drying actual dishes.)

I'd seen on Pinterest where bloggers were using Sharpies to decorate their dish towels, so I decided that I had nothing to lose. If the colors fade in the wash, I'll still be able to use them in the kitchen.


So I printed a couple of simple vintage designs from Flickr and got out my light box and sharpies. The qualities that make this fabric awful for stitching on also make it hard to draw on with markers. Maybe if I stabilized it on freezer paper first...but I wasn't feeling that patient.

I'll let you know how these hold up, and if I decide to try it again with the freezer paper.

2 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

So cute! Hope your Sharpie Method works - long-term!

Anonymous said...

They are cute anyway! yes, the freezer paper would have helped, but they look fine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails