Wednesday, March 13, 2013

{Yarn Along} Stone the Gargoyle

I wanted to cast on a project this week that fit in with the whole Nancy Drew theme. After lots and lots of Ravelry searching, I decided that this little fella would be suitable. The pattern is Stone the Gargoyle, an online freebie by Devon Monk.


He still needs both his arms knit, but he's gone together quickly.  I love the little details to this pattern. The muzzle is  shaped with short rows. He's got little actual heels and his toes are formed with a picot bindoff. Which makes them look really twisted and uneven the way I do it, but they're gargoyle toes. I'm sure they're supposed to be that way.

The wings gave me a bit of trouble, but a whole slew of friendly Knitlist members helped me figure out what I'd misread. Now I've just got to do those arms and find the perfect buttons for eyes.



The book is One Hot Murder by Lorraine Bartlett, the third Victoria Square Mystery. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. I think it's because it lets me vicariously live out my fantasies of having a booth at an antique mall.  Back when Grandma still owned hers, I had a newborn and a fifteen month old and even managing to visit was an adventure. Now that my kids are a bit older and the mall is gone, I've decided that I really wish I could've spent more time there...

In the books, Katie Bonner has found herself the unwilling owner of Artisans Alley, a failing craft mall. Shortly before his death, her husband had sunk all of their savings, monkey that had been intended to purchase the dilapidated Webster mansion and  convert it into a bed and breakfast. Now, Katie is trying to get Artisans Alley back on its feet so that she can get on with her life.

In this latest book, there's arson on the square and a body is found in the smoldering remains of Wood U.




For more fun knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis.  And don't forget the Nancy Drew Blog hop! My giveaway for a vintage Nancy Drew book is still open, if you haven't entered already.  Today's bloggers are Gracie Oliver Arts, Life In Every Breath, Made by Me in Red, Dachsies With Moxie,
Words and Stitches, Rose Creations, Retired to Quilt, Leslie Tucker Jenison, Feathered Nest Studio. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a teenager who probably love a knit gargoyle!

Unknown said...

ooh that is super cute - i love it!!! Have a knitty wednesday xx

Minding My Own Stitches said...

What a fun little project. His muzzle looks just right. I always think that including short-rows like that is sooo clever!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Never thought of knitting a gargoyle.. May need to start one now!

straythreads said...

amazing thanks for including a link to the finished project and instructions. can't wit to see it finished

Dar said...

What an interesting knitting project. Looking forward to seeing him with his eyes and all parts finished.

Stella Nemeth said...

I made a crochet puppet many years ago, but have not crocheted a toy recently and have never made a knitted one. Looks like a fun project.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails