Saturday, March 09, 2013

{What's Cooking?} Honey Walnut Shrimp

I was so excited when Judy picked honey for this week's challenge because that meant I had an excuse to get into the honey from our very own bees. We only got a couple of jars this year, so it takes a really special occasion to justify using it.

And then I needed to come up with a really special recipe. Teenage Daughter came to the rescue and suggested I try to make Honey Walnut Chicken. Have I mentioned that my girl is an absolute genius?


I did some searching  and there are quite a few different interpretations of the Honey Walnut Chicken from Panda Express. Most are fairly similar, but I didn't want to start with raw shrimp or deep fry it (we've had enough adventures in our kitchen with boiling oil this week), so I tweaked them and came up with my own version.

Start by mixing 2/3 a cup of granulated sugar and one cup of water in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of walnuts. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes then drain and spread the walnuts on a plate.

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk.

I used a bag of cooked frozen shrimp. Once they were thawed and I'd taken the tails off, I dusted them with corn starch and briefly cooked them in the frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.  When they were hot, I poured the sauce and walnuts over them and cooked the whole thing for a couple more minutes, just until everything was heated through.

Alex and I both thought that it had a definite mayonnaise flavor to it that I don't remember from the shrimp I've had at Panda Express. We may have to go out to lunch soon  to compare our results. And I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the rest of the can of sweetened condensed milk.  Can you freeze that stuff? If not, I guess I'll have to make another batch of those peanut butter biscuit mix cookies.


This post is linked to  What's Cooking at Patchwork Times and WFMW at We are THAT Family.

Patchwork Times What's Cooking

3 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Sounds delish, but I am guessing you left part of that first paragraph out.......Start by mixing 2/3 a cup of granulated sugar and one cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes then drain and spread the walnuts on a plate.

What are we draining, and where did the walnuts come into play???

Julianne said...

Sounds good...I love honey. Raw honey is kind of expensive but worth it.

Teri said...

Wow....you have your very own bees....I'm very impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails