Friday, February 17, 2012

procrastinating and making excuses

It's almost a little hard to believe that this one is done. I started piecing it in early 2009, right after discovering Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders page and decided that I wanted to make pretty much everything there.



I had the top finished by mid-March, less than two months later, but once I did, I was paralyzed. I didn't have the skills to quilt it myself at that point and even after I did have the skills, I was afraid to touch it. I finally broke down and pin basted just before Christmas 2010.

Then it sat. And sat. Even thought I'd decided how I wanted to quilt it, it got moved from my sewing corner in the dining room out to the sewing room and back inside and back outside quite a few times. I started to worry that the safety pins might have rusted, but I was afraid to check. Then I thought about quilting it but didn't have brown fabric for the binding, and if I couldn't bind it, what was the sense of quilting it? When it comes to this quilt, I'm good at making excuses.

Even after I pulled out and and decided to get it done, I kept putting it off. It was going to take days and days to quilt. And days and days to bind. I had other projects I could get done faster.

It took two days to quilt and two days to bind. And now I can snuggle up under it.



I did finish a whole lot of other quilts while I was avoiding this one. I think 2009 was the year of the 20some quilts I kept. And 2010 was the year of the almost fifty baby quilts. (I don't want to talk about 2011 -- that year doesn't count.)

What have you been putting off that you could finish and enjoy if you just set your mind to it for a few hours?

This post is linked to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts, Sew and Tell, and Can I get a Whoop-Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

16 comments:

heather said...

Leaders and Enders are addictive, aren't they? Very nice quilt.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

It's a beautiful quilt no matter how long it took:) I don't have any UFO right now, but lots of things I'd like to start!

Michelle C said...

Oddly enough, I also have a Double Irish Chain that's been haunting me....but only for the last two months or so. Nothing doing with a two or three year project! I think next week will have a lot of rotary cutting and catching up on long term projects.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Having a finished quilt you can snuggle under is so much better than having the finishing of it hanging over your head like a dark cloud. Procrastination is only good if it saves you money...and it's saved me lots of money. When I finally get around to getting that "thing" I wanted, it's usually no longer available. :))

Pieces of Cotton said...

It looks like you did a great job - maybe it was worth waiting until your skills could catch up to the task at hand.

Denise :) said...

What a pretty, pretty finish! I like the quilting on this Michelle! What a fun 'cuddle up' quilt!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's just beautiful! I have 2 quilts that fit in your "what if" category. One day...that's what I keep saying.
Whoop Whoop!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

That's a big 'what if' - I have to piece my time together, one block at a time right now! But I'll get them done - I'm working on a UFO right now and it's making me so happy to get it finished!

Richard Healey said...

Nice quilt I like it.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com
Make sure you stop by and put your guess in my quilt givaway by guessing my babys B-day or Birth Weight.

Sue Daurio said...

Now aren't you glad you finally got it done??? I have the same quilt that I thought my husband through out but recently found in the basement. It's been sitting there for 4 months now, same thing. I've got all kinds of excuses on that one. Need to take note of this post and just do it!! thanks :)

Vic in NH said...

Thank you so very much for describing the inner voices that talk us out of our rightful progress on any given project! I can relate.

Susan said...

It's gorgeous! :) I love Irish Chain, and a double one is even better!

Sarah Craig said...

Such a pretty quilt! I love scrappy quilts.... whoop whoop!!

Love Of Quilts said...

Lovely Quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I won't admit to procrastinating LOL - but I LOVE your finish. Good for you! Its beautiful!!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

You did a super job quilting it!

Mrs.Hearts
www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails